Martijn, who serves as chair of the firm’s Global Business practice, primarily assists clients with global business law issues, intellectual property matters and dispute resolution. He joined the firm in 1985.
Martijn offers the firm’s clients strategic advice to assist them in developing global markets. He counsels organizations of all sizes regarding international mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, strategic alliances, global logistics, licensing and intellectual property issues. Martijn also assists clients by managing cross-border legal services.
U.S. Business/Mergers + Acquisitions
Martijn advises buyers and sellers in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and strategic alliances. He also counsels new and existing organizations in business formation and structuring, as well as contract drafting and negotiation.
Part of Martijn’s practice is in the firm’s Intellectual Property area, in which he develops strategic IP advice and solutions for our clients. His experience includes license drafting and negotiation, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements and services agreements, such as contracts for research and development, technology development, and marketing.
Martijn has a particular emphasis in the resolution of international business disputes and disputes arising in the field of logistics, which includes the warehousing, supply and transport of goods.
- Emerging Businesses
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1983)
- University of Sheffield Faculty of Law (Rotary International graduate fellow, 1978-1979)
- Miami University (B.A., 1978)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American Bar Association, member
- British-American Chamber of Commerce – Ohio, board member
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, advisory council, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Columbus Council on World Affairs (CCWA), chairman emeritus of the board (2001-2003)
- German-American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, member
- Greater Columbus Advanced Logistics Council, executive committee, past member (1992-2008)
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Southern Ohio District Export Council, board of trustees, past member (2005-2009)
- Honored by Chambers USA for expertise in Corporate/M+A
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2008
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® by Law & Politics magazine since 2004
- "Legal Considerations Involved in Expanding Your International Business," Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, multiple years
- "The World is Your Marketplace," presented to the Asian Indian American Business Group, 2011
- "Cross-Border Transactions from a U.S. Perspective," presented to the German Lawyers’ Association, 2008