2022 is expected to bring with it the legalization of sports betting in Ohio. As legislation makes its way through the Ohio House and Senate, hospitality businesses large and small, from the largest casinos and racinos to local suburban gaming establishments, are strategizing ahead of time to take advantage of this development in order to secure the licensure and regulatory clearance necessary to operate in the emerging landscape.
Kegler Brown’s gaming and regulatory attorneys are working with these businesses on preparing to seize market share and establish legal and sustainable business plans to grow in Ohio. Our team, comprising attorneys and lobbyists, has maintained decades-long relationships with the government agencies and regulatory bodies that are ushering in the industry. They have also been fully immersed in the most influential trade groups in the industry, including the International Masters of Gaming Law, where our attorneys have served as elected officers, committee chairs, authors and presenters at the industry’s most well-respected educational events.
We understand the complex legal and regulatory environment surrounding this burgeoning industry and leverage our expertise and relationships to provide knowledgeable and efficient service as a one-stop shop for sports betting operators, testing providers, gaming equipment manufacturers, and eSports entities.
- Licensing: assisting our clients in preparing their applications and representing them through the licensure process.
- Compliance: providing our clients with ongoing service to ensure they are aware of and in compliance with all regulatory requirements with this growing market. We stay up-to-date by attending the monthly Ohio Casino Control Commission meetings and keep our clients plugged into any possible changes to their regulatory requirements.
- Government Affairs: lobbying for our clients at the statehouse on both sides of the aisle. We have a very active presence at the Ohio Statehouse and continually monitor legislation for any bills that may impact our clients.
- Business Operations: advising clients through growth and exit strategies, from entity formation and ownership agreement negotiation to complex commercial or licensing contracts and, ultimately, license sale.
- Intellectual Property: providing trademark and copyright services; drafting and negotiating software agreements.
- Privacy + Data Security: protecting both our client’s business and their customers’ very sensitive information in compliance with regulatory requirements.
Our gaming clients include start-up companies seeking to capitalize on an emerging sports betting industry, established national gaming properties, testing labs, and gaming equipment manufacturers. These prospective sports betting operators and secondary service providers, which have unique needs and face distinct regulatory burdens, represent all stages of the gaming industry’s complex supply chain.
For more information on our sports betting legal and consulting services, please contact Robert Dove. You can also learn more by visiting the state’s foremost authority on the gaming landscape, OhioGamingLaw.com, which is our free resource for Ohio gaming developments and insights.