At Kegler Brown, we believe the most important factor in effectively representing management in traditional labor issues is a thorough understanding of the client’s business and needs. Because each employer is different, we take the time to understand the needs of the management team, as well as the economics of its business. This allows us to provide tailored advice and representation that supports the organization's strategic goals and to achieve a collective bargaining agreement that allows our clients to effectively compensate and manage its employees.
Our employment attorneys represent employers in all aspects of traditional collective bargaining and union interactions. For non-union employers, we assist in issues relating to union organizing campaigns and union elections. We also frequently represent both unionized and non-union employers in hearings before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
For employers with a union already in place, our firm provides representation throughout the collective bargaining process, including contract negotiation and arbitration hearings. We will also advise clients on issues relating to contract interpretation and grievance procedures.
- Collective bargaining: negotiating collective bargaining agreements on favorable terms; assisting with issues regarding interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement and any grievances under the agreement
- Union organizing: advising clients about compliance with various rules and regulations relating to a union’s attempt to organize; defining appropriate bargaining units; compliance with rules on timing and content of employer communications; defending unfair labor practice charges relating to union elections
- Unfair labor practice defense: representing management in NLRB proceedings before the Board; advice regarding compliance with the National Labor Relations Act
- Grievance arbitration: assistance with preparing management for grievance arbitrations; representing management in arbitrations
We represent unionized clients of all sizes across a wide landscape of industries and professions. Our traditional labor relations practice is highlighted by our long-time representation of businesses in the areas of:
- Private sector manufacturing: contract negotiations that permit the company to continue managing and compensating its employees in accordance with company needs and economic realities
- Education: teacher negotiations, with particular attention to the specific economic circumstances of the education field
- Metropolitan housing: collective bargaining; contract interpretation; grievance arbitration; defense of charges under the National Labor Relations Act
- Transportation: negotiations with drivers and mechanics
We have assisted and advised a number of key clients, including the following, in all aspects of traditional labor relations.
- A public housing authority recognized among the nation's best
- An industry leader in the concept, design, development and manufacturing of commercial vehicle component systems worldwide
- A fast-growing religious organization serving more than 20 counties in Ohio
- A Connecticut-based manufacturer of precision fasteners for the aerospace, military and commercial markets
- A family-owned manufacturer of security accessories in operation for more than 150 years
For more information on our traditional labor practice services, please contact Brendan Feheley.