Kegler Brown has an excellent track record of representing clients before state and federal equal employment agencies and court litigation, as well as in arbitration, in both individual and class action disputes. Our broad experience includes successful defense of claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, all forms of discrimination and retaliation, and claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Our employment litigators have a record of winning summary judgment in wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation cases, and we regularly represent clients in the enforcement of non-competition agreements, engaging in a high volume of non-compete litigation in Ohio courts.
Members of our employment litigation team have been recognized by their peers for trial acumen. Lori Fuhrer was recently ranked as one of the Top 25 woman attorneys in Columbus and was named by Chambers USA "Women in Law" as one of only four litigators nationally to be selected as a finalist for its prestigious "Up and Coming Litigation Lawyer of the Year" honor. Rob Cohen has been consistently honored by the most prominent attorney rating services in the country and was selected for a 2012 “Lawyer of the Year” honor by The Best Lawyers in America; he also holds an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest honor given by the publication.
We represent our clients in all employment-related disputes before administrative bodies (i.e., the EEOC, state equal employment agencies, the NLRB) and in state and federal courts.
- Discrimination and harassment investigations and litigation: defending employers in both individual and class action disputes; conducting workplace investigations (e.g., sexual harassment and hostile work environment allegations)
- Wage and hour litigation: defending employers in individual and collective action Fair Labor Standards Act cases against state law wage and hour claims, and against claimants seeking collective action certification
- Disability accommodation and protected leaves (FMLA) litigation: representing employers against claims by employees or former employees claiming they were denied disability or treated in a manner in violation of the FMLA
- Whistleblowing and retaliation litigation: defending employers against claims that employees or former employees are entitled to protection under whistleblower statutes, were terminated in violation of public policy, or who are claiming retaliation
- ERISA and other benefit plan litigation: representing plan sponsors, fiduciaries and service providers, including litigation relating to ESOPs
- Termination litigation
- Workers’ compensation: representing employers before the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, the Ohio Industrial Commission and in court cases; handling issues concerning initial claim allowance, extent of disability, employer handicap reimbursement and retaliatory discharge claims
- Workplace safety (OSHA): defending OSHA inspections, citations and hearings
- Non-competition covenant enforcement: representing employers in the creation and enforcement of non-competition restrictions
- NLRB proceedings: defending employers against unfair labor charges filed with the NLRB; bringing charges warranted by unlawful union activity
Kegler Brown’s employment attorneys often represent mid-sized businesses located in central Ohio, as well as larger companies headquartered outside of Ohio that have operations and employment litigation issues in the state. Our valued employment litigation clients include:
- A global fast food restaurant based in the Midwest
- One of the world's leading insurance companies, servicing more than 20M policies worldwide
- A Fortune 150 media and telecommunications company headquartered in New York
- A global pharmacy benefits management company with $70B in revenue
For more information on our employment litigation services, please contact Loriann E. Fuhrer, Robert Cohen or Brendan Feheley.