At Kegler Brown, our attorneys have vast experience in structuring and advising our U.S. and global clients on joint ventures and strategic alliances across multiple industries—ranging from relatively small operations to quarter-billion-dollar ventures. These structures include commercialization arrangements, co-promotion arrangements, distribution agreements, R&D partnerships, technology and IP licensing, royalty arrangements and other collaborative ventures.
Our attorneys understand not only the legal and tax environment of local jurisdictions, but foreign jurisdictions around the world. In addition, our attorneys are sensitive to the operational issues that arise in any sort of a joint venture or strategic alliance, including financial considerations, governance, information sharing, development and ownership, restrictive covenants, contingency planning and termination.
- Strategic legal and tax planning: creating and maximizing growth opportunities through collaborative ventures, while developing a legal and tax infrastructure that will support profitable, secure and lasting partnerships
- Due diligence: undertaking risk management analysis and legal and tax due diligence to facilitate proper and, wherever possible, risk-mitigated strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Contract negotiations: drafting, reviewing and advising on JV agreements
- Governance and compliance:ensuring good governance by establishing sound policies, including anti-corruption activities and exporting control regulations
- Operational: advice on contracting, reporting, governance procedures, risk mitigation and compliance
- Dispute resolution: advice regarding joint venture terminations and resolution of disputes between participants
We assist businesses, domestically and globally, of all sizes, and in various industries in structuring these arrangements. And we have developed specific experience in representing clients in industries like manufacturing, technology, retail, communications, higher education, information technology and software development, and health care. Some representative clients include:
- A publicly traded manufacturing company: strategic legal and tax planning, due diligence, and contract negotiations as it explored a joint venture in an emerging-market
- A mid-size manufacturing company: strategic legal and tax planning as it explored a technology and IP collaboration with companies in several foreign jurisdictions
- A privately held services company: due diligence and contract negotiations as it explored a collaborative distribution and logistics arrangement with a company in the Asia-Pacific region
- A public global construction company: strategic legal and tax planning, due diligence and contract negotiations as it explored strategic alliances in Africa
- A privately held worldwide services company: due diligence and contract negotiations in connection with a multi-year exclusive promotion and royalty partnership
- A publicly traded medical products company: due diligence, structuring and contract negotiations in connection with an exclusive multi-year co-promotion partnership
- A privately held seller of building products: due diligence, structuring, contract negotiations and operational advice regarding a technology joint venture intended to open new online distribution channels
- A privately held, international e-commerce company: due diligence, structuring and contract negotiations to establish a U.S. joint venture subsidiary, including funding, licensing, promotional and operational commitments with a publicly traded, strategic U.S. partner
For more information on our joint venture and strategic alliance services, please contact Vinita Mehra for global ventures, and Todd M. Kegler, Steve Barsotti, or Eric D. Duffee for domestic ventures.