Steve works in the firm’s emerging business, intellectual property, and global business practice areas, advising clients on general business matters, growth strategies, acquisition transactions, contract negotiation and intellectual property licensing and protection. He has been with the firm since 2003.
Steve offers creative and efficient strategies when advising clients in every stage of the business lifecycle, including business formation and structuring, capital raising, contract drafting and negotiation, negotiation of joint ventures, franchising, and counseling buyers and sellers in acquisition transactions.
Venture + Growth Capital
One core aspect of Steve’s practice is representing a diverse portfolio of growth stage clients with respect to their IP strategy, people strategy and financing strategy. His experience in this space includes working with founders, key executives, boards of directors, equity funds, investors, lenders, and other stakeholders in navigating complex deal structures, scenario modeling, and securities compliance associated with private placements of debt and equity.
Steve has extensive experience in identifying and protecting clients’ intellectual property assets, safeguarding clients’ intellectual property interests through domestic and international trademarks, copyrights, negotiation of confidentiality agreements and NDAs, and commercializing IP rights through negotiation of services agreements, licenses and joint venture agreements.
Steve leverages his knowledge of business and intellectual property law to serve clients outside the United States. He regularly counsels businesses in international acquisition transactions, IP protection, supply and distribution licensing, and cross-border joint ventures.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Energy + Environment
- Franchise + Distribution
- Global Business
- Government Affairs
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Medical Marijuana + Hemp
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Wake Forest University (B.A., 1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Services Board, member
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA), member
- International Trademark Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Honored by Chambers USA for expertise in Corporate/M+A
- Honored by Chambers USA for expertise in Intellectual Property
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- United Way of Central Ohio, Young Leadership Group, member
- Graduated first in his class from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 2002