Jim is a seasoned trial lawyer and business advisor with a focus on civil litigation, personal injury issues, and business disputes. He began his career as a judicial law clerk for Judge Donald Nugent and practiced with other notable corporate firms in Cleveland before joining Kegler Brown in 2016.
Beginning early in his career with Reminger in northeast Ohio, Jim has built a significant trial and appellate practice over more than 20 years as a lawyer. In that time, his broad practice has focused on all aspects of business disputes and has been highlighted by his work in the transportation and retail restaurant industries.
Personal Injury + Wrongful Death
Throughout his career, Jim has been representing injured people and their families in personal injury, property damage and wrongful death claims. Aggressive in negotiation and with a track record of successful outcomes for his clients, Jim’s representation has amassed millions of dollars in compensation for his clients.
Small Business Counsel
Jim also maintains a strong concentration on strategic issues faced by entrepreneurs and growth-stage businesses. His expertise is particularly well-suited to advise organizations with respect to their employee rights, wage and hour, and disciplinary issues, and he has developed a reputation for his expansive work representing the retail food and restaurant industries in northeast Ohio.
Ethics + Professional Responsibility
As a past practice group leader of a prominent legal malpractice department in Cleveland, Jim represents attorneys involved in disciplinary inquiries and proceedings, as well as attorneys accused of legal malpractice. His experience includes numerous local bar association presentations and working with the 2013 task force that proposed changes to the CMBA’s Lawyer’s Creed.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Franchise + Distribution
- Global Business
- Real Estate
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Miami University (B.A., 1991)
- St. Edward High School, Lakewood, Ohio (1987)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, fellow
- Cleveland Marshall Law Alumni Association, president
- St. Edward Legal Eagles, past president
- William K. Thomas Inn of Court, member
- Ohio Association for Justice, business torts section head
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV Preeminent®
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® by Law & Politics magazine since 2012
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Autism Speaks – N.E. Ohio Chapter, volunteer
- The Michael D. Symon Foundation, Inc., president
- Shaker Youth Baseball League, Major League coach