Vinita serves as the firm’s Asia-Pacific Team Leader and is qualified and licensed to practice law in both Ohio and India. She counsels corporate clients regarding a broad range of complex national and international corporate transactions and intellectual property issues. Chambers Global stated "Vinita is singled out for her sound corporate regulatory knowledge, as well as her creativity and ability to provide 'clear explanations and guidance.'" She has been with the firm since 2003.
Vinita represents numerous U.S. companies in international transactions on a wide variety of legal issues, including outsourcing agreements, joint ventures, greenfield projects, brownfield projects, logistics and distribution restructuring, exporting overseas, tax structuring, mergers and acquisitions, project finance, investment and divestment issues, technology transfer, licensing, intellectual property protection, and management and operational strategies. Vinita counsels non-U.S. companies on the legal and tax issues pertaining to undertaking new or expanding business operations in the U.S. Vinita also advises companies on federal trade compliance issues such as export control regulations, FCPA and more.
As leader of the firm’s Global Education practice initiative, Vinita has led dozens of education projects for institutions across the country doing business in nearly twenty of the world’s leading markets. She is savvy in guiding public universities through the complex regulatory and funding process involved in global expansion and is deeply experienced in leading private universities beyond their initial vision and onward to goal realization. While addressing the complex regulatory, tax and contractual issues at play, Vinita works with educational leaders and university counsel to devise and execute new market strategies, implement project development initiatives, and establish education support services and recruiting initiatives.
Vinita maintains a diverse domestic corporate practice, including matters related to business formation and structuring, M+A, and contract drafting and negotiation. Vinita is skilled in strategic counseling regarding the tax and legal issues important to firm clients when considering expansion into other markets. She was recognized by Chambers Global, who said "Vinita handles a range of corporate, M+A, and IP work, and is qualified to practice in India and Ohio, making her a go-to choice for cross-border matters involving India an USA."
As part of her comprehensive global business practice, Vinita counsels U.S. and international clients in the proactive protection and enforcement of their IP assets and in complying with global IP laws.
- Emerging Businesses
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Mumbai University, Government Law College (LL.B., 2000)
- Mumbai University, Government Law College (B.L.S., 1997)
- Bar Council of State of Maharashtra and Goa, India
- The Supreme Court of India
- American Bar Association, member
- Asian Indian American Business Group, general counsel
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, board member
- Bar Council of State of Maharashtra and Goa, India, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, member
- New York State Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Women for Economic and Leadership Development (WELD), 2015 National Board, member
- Selected as the 2015 Ohio Asian Award Winner for professional services
- Rated a Foreign Expert in Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions by Chambers USA, 2015
- Selected in “Chambers Global Awards for Excellence” as an "Expert Based Abroad" for Indian companies by Chambers & Partners, 2014
- Honored as the only “Expert” attorney in the Midwest for Indian business matters by Chambers Global, a rating service dedicated to evaluating the legal profession through the eyes of clients.
- Selected as an “Ohio Rising Star” by Law & Politics magazine
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40 Award, 2012
- Selected as a recipient for “Twelve Women You Should Know™” by Women for Economic and Leadership Development (WELD), 2013
- Received the Columbus International Festival Central Ohio Community Service Award, 2013
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, board member
- Columbus Sister Cities International, board member
- “Federal Trade Compliances,” Kegler Brown seminar, presented 2010
- “Drafting Effective International Contracts,” Ohio Global Summit, presented 2009
- “Legal Consideration Issues in India,” Ohio Global Summit, presented 2008
- “Key Compliances in Investing Abroad,” Seminars in India to Indo-American Chamber of Commerce; ASSOCHAM; All India Association of Industries (AIAI), presented 2008
- “Navigating the Indian Legal Landscape,” India-U.S.-Bangladesh Business Forum (Bangamela), presented 2008
- “Legal Ways of Recovering Money in India,” NACM, presented 2007
- “Implications of Investment in India: Gateway to Trade,” seminar by SODEC and U.S. Department of Commerce, presented 2007
- Served in India with the law firm of Mulla & Mulla & Craigie Blunt & Caroe from 1998-2002 in their Mumbai and Bangalore offices