Vinita Mehra is an attorney who cares — about her clients and her community. Her professional and personal philosophy includes giving back in ways that make a meaningful difference to the local and global communities to which she dedicates her practice. Vinita is a firm believer in Gandhi’s idea of “being the change you want to see in the world.”
Vinita’s drive, integrity and creativity are consistently demonstrated by her tireless efforts on behalf of the civic and charitable organizations where she devotes her time. Nellie So, president of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, comments that Vinita is both “thoughtful and deliberate” when planning for the needs their organization. Roger Clements, president of the Asian Indian American Business Group, notes that “in an era where exceptional service and accountability has virtually disappeared, the work that Vinita has done should be an example for others.” In addition, Barb Pratzner, president of Columbus Sister Cities International, states that “because of Vinita’s involvement, we have a flourishing and growing relationship with Ahmedabad, India.”
Vinita has served in key leadership roles for various charities and charitable organizations, including as:
- General counsel and board member for the Asian Indian American Business Group (AIABG), the largest business group in central Ohio representing predominantly entrepreneurs of Indian descent.
- Board member for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio (APABA-CO), a non-profit voluntary association for Asian Pacific American attorneys, judges, law professors and students, as well as other members of the legal community in central Ohio.
- Board and executive committee member for Columbus Sister Cities International (CSCI), an organization focused on the creation of economic, educational, cultural and environmental opportunities through relationship building between the Columbus region and its sister cities and their regions.
- Current board member of the Columbus Council on World Affairs (CCWA), an organization dedicated to creating global awareness in the Columbus region.
- Volunteer for the anti-domestic violence group for ASHA Ray of Hope, an organization focused on supporting and counseling victims of domestic violence in Ohio, particularly in the South Asian communities.
- Volunteer and 2011 recipient of the Rising Star award (link to youtube video) for the Federation of Indian Associations, a 100% volunteer organization dedicated to bringing together all of the central Ohio Asian-Indian associations and to coordinate the cultural, educational, social, economic and community affairs of people of Asian-Indian origin.
Through these roles, Vinita builds bridges for the creation of relationships and brings practical solutions to challenging obstacles facing nonprofits in her community.