Vinita serves as the firm’s Asia-Pacific Team Leader and is qualified and licensed to practice law in both Ohio and India. She counsels corporate clients regarding a broad range of complex national and international corporate transactions and intellectual property issues.
Vinita represents U.S. companies in international transactions on a wide variety of legal issues, including outsourcing agreements, joint ventures, logistics and distribution restructuring, exporting overseas, tax structuring, mergers and acquisitions, project finance, licensing, intellectual property protection, and management and operational strategies. Vinita counsels non-U.S. companies on the legal and tax issues pertaining to undertaking expanding business operations in the U.S. Vinita also advises companies on federal trade compliance issues such as export control regulations, FCPA and more.
As leader of the firm’s Global Education practice initiative, Vinita has led dozens of education projects for institutions across the country, doing business in nearly twenty of the world’s leading markets and guiding public universities through the complex regulatory and funding process involved in global expansion. While addressing the complex regulatory, tax and contractual issues at play, Vinita works with educational leaders and university counsel to devise and execute new market strategies, implement project development initiatives, and establish education support services and recruiting initiatives.
Vinita maintains a diverse domestic corporate practice, including matters related to business formation and structuring, M+A, and contract drafting and negotiation. Vinita is skilled in strategic counseling regarding the tax and legal issues important to firm clients when considering expansion into other markets.
As part of her comprehensive global business practice, Vinita counsels U.S. and international clients in the proactive protection and enforcement of their IP assets and in complying with global IP laws.
Vinita is trusted by clients with international franchising concerns to negotiate and draft master franchise and license agreements, prepare franchise disclosure documents, where applicable, and manage relationships and agreements across borders. Besides handling initial offerings and mediating the relationship between franchisor and franchisee, Vinita focuses on compliance with franchise and intellectual property registrations along with other filing requirements in foreign jurisdictions. Her practice also emphasizes international brand positioning and protection, as well as dispute resolution in foreign jurisdictions.
- Emerging Businesses
- Franchise + Distribution
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Mumbai University, Government Law College (LL.B., 2000)
- Mumbai University, Government Law College (B.L.S., 1997)
- Bar Council of State of Maharashtra and Goa, India
- The Supreme Court of India
- American Bar Association, member
- Asian Indian American Business Group, general counsel
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, board member
- Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA), Strategic Issues Committee, member
- Bar Council of State of Maharashtra and Goa, India, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, member
- New York State Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Women for Economic and Leadership Development (WELD), National Board, member
- Ranked as a Foreign Expert for India for Corporate/M+A by Chambers Global, 2016-2018
- Listed as an Up + Coming Attorney for Corporate/M+A by Chambers USA, 2016-2018
- 2015 Ohio Asian Award Winner for professional services
- Rated a Foreign Expert in Corporate/M+A by Chambers USA, 2015
- Selected in “Chambers Global Awards for Excellence” as an "Expert Based Abroad" for Indian companies by Chambers & Partners, 2014
- Honored as the only “Expert” attorney in the Midwest for Indian business matters by Chambers Global, a rating service dedicated to evaluating the legal profession through the eyes of clients.
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Star list by Super Lawyers
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40 Award, 2012
- Selected as a recipient for “Twelve Women You Should Know™” by Women for Economic and Leadership Development (WELD), 2013
- Received the Columbus International Festival Central Ohio Community Service Award, 2013
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, board member
- “Federal Trade Compliances,” Kegler Brown seminar, presented 2010
- “Drafting Effective International Contracts,” Ohio Global Summit, presented 2009
- “Legal Consideration Issues in India,” Ohio Global Summit, presented 2008
- “Key Compliances in Investing Abroad,” Seminars in India to Indo-American Chamber of Commerce; ASSOCHAM; All India Association of Industries (AIAI), presented 2008
- “Navigating the Indian Legal Landscape,” India-U.S.-Bangladesh Business Forum (Bangamela), presented 2008
- “Legal Ways of Recovering Money in India,” NACM, presented 2007
- “Implications of Investment in India: Gateway to Trade,” seminar by SODEC and U.S. Department of Commerce, presented 2007
- Served in India with the law firm of Mulla & Mulla & Craigie Blunt & Caroe from 1998-2002 in their Mumbai and Bangalore offices