David serves as the chair of Kegler Brown’s Privacy and Data Security group and focuses his practice in the areas of regulatory compliance, global business, emerging business, and IP. Before joining the firm in 2011, David lived in São Paulo and worked in a Brazilian law firm.
In the United States Army Special Operations Command, David quickly rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant, SSG. During his service in Afghanistan, David received the Army Commendation Medal with Combat Distinguished “V” device for Valor.
David brings deep cross-border experience to the firm and acts as counsel to businesses of all sizes. He regularly counsels businesses in international acquisition transactions, cross-border joint ventures, global IP protection, technology licensing, supply and distribution, exporting, and regulatory compliance.
Privacy + Data Security
David is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and has earned the ANSI-accredited designation of Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM). He regularly advises clients on privacy and data security issues, working with them to safeguard their information and intellectual property interests.
His experience includes advising on compliance with domestic and cross-border regulatory obligations, advising on the development of privacy frameworks, policies and certifications, along with negotiating and drafting technology licenses, JV agreements and service agreements with an eye toward preparing for and responding to incidents. David also assists clients with creating and managing policies and processes necessary for compliance with and response to enforcement actions under U.S. and global privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Startups + Growth
David represents a number of growth-stage companies with respect to day-to-day activities, structuring and negotiating capital formation transactions, and pre-fundraising strategy, which often includes grooming the company and its owners for structuring successful and legally sound capital raises from potential equity investors.
Mergers + Acquisitions
David advises domestic and international buyers and sellers in M+A transactions, including mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases and reorganizations. He also assists in deal structuring and negotiation.
David works with smart companies to commercialize their IP rights through negotiation of services agreements, technology licenses and joint venture agreements, and to safeguard their intellectual property interests through domestic and international trademarks, copyrights, and negotiation of confidentiality agreements.
- Banking + Lending
- Emerging Businesses
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Medical Marijuana + Hemp
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM, 2016)
- NCBFAA Educational Institute, Certified Export Specialist (CES, 2014)
- NCBFAA Educational Institute, Certified Customs Specialist (CCS, 2014)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2010)
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business (M.B.A., 2011)
- Ohio University (B.S.S., 2003)
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, member (2008 – present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), member
- International Bar Association, Latin American Regional Forum Committee, former member
- International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio (ITASWO), formerly MVITA, former member
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2019
- National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America, Inc. (NCBFAA), former member
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Rocks and Roots Trail Runners Association, Co-Founder
- Greater Columbus Sister Cities International, Board Member, Executive Committee Member
- The Economic and Community Development Institute (ECDI), Former Committee Member