David serves as the co-chair of Kegler Brown’s Privacy and Data Security group and focuses his practice in the areas of global business, emerging business, and IP. Before joining the firm in 2011, David lived in São Paulo and worked in a Brazilian law firm.
In the United States Army Special Operations Command, David quickly rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant, SSG. During his service in Afghanistan, David received the Army Commendation Medal with Combat Distinguished “V” device for Valor.
David brings cross-border experience to the firm and acts as counsel to businesses of all sizes. He regularly counsels businesses in international acquisition transactions, cross-border joint ventures, global IP protection, technology licensing, supply and distribution, exporting, and regulatory compliance.
Privacy + Data Security
David is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and has earned the ANSI-accredited designation of Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM). He regularly advises clients on privacy and data security issues, working with them to safeguard their information and intellectual property interests.
His experience includes advising on compliance with domestic and cross-border regulatory obligations, advising on the development of privacy frameworks, policies and certifications, along with negotiating and drafting technology licenses, JV agreements and service agreements with an eye toward preparing for and responding to breaches.
Startups + Growth
David represents a number of growth-stage companies with respect to day-to-day activities, structuring and negotiating capital formation transactions, and pre-fundraising strategy, which often includes grooming the company and its owners for structuring successful and legally sound capital raises from potential equity investors.
Mergers + Acquisitions
David advises domestic and international buyers and sellers in M+A transactions, including mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases and reorganizations. He also assists in deal structuring and negotiation.
David works with smart companies to commercialize their IP rights through negotiation of services agreements, technology licenses and joint venture agreements, and to safeguard their intellectual property interests through domestic and international trademarks, copyrights, and negotiation of confidentiality agreements.
- Banking + Lending
- Emerging Businesses
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM, 2016)
- NCBFAA Educational Institute, Certified Export Specialist (CES, 2014)
- NCBFAA Educational Institute, Certified Customs Specialist (CCS, 2014)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2010)
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business (M.B.A., 2011)
- Ohio University (B.S.S., 2003)
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, member (2008 – present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), member
- International Bar Association, Latin American Regional Forum Committee, member
- International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio (ITASWO), formerly MVITA, member
- National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America, Inc. (NCBFAA), member
- Ohio licensed REALTOR (inactive status)
- Ohio State Bar Association, International Law Committee, member
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Rocks and Roots Trail Runners Association, co-founder
- The Economic and Community Development Institute (ECDI), former committee member