An innovative, strategic thinking lawyer with an extraordinary range of first-chair public law experience, Adam brings nearly thirty years of insight to a comprehensive public law and school law practice. Adam is a past chair of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Education Law Committee, and served as deputy director of legal services at the Ohio School Boards Association. A 4th-generation Columbus Hilltop native, Adam and his wife Helen live in the Grandview Heights area. Adam is also a current Ohio State Representative (2016 - present), a past president of the Hilltop Kiwanis Club, and K-12 board member at First Community Church.
An experienced labor relations attorney, Adam has served as lead negotiator/counsel in teaching and classified (non-teaching) contract negotiations and arbitrations for school districts with annual general fund budgets ranging from $10 to $80 million dollars. He has also developed and led a variety of union negotiation strategies, including interest-based, modified interest-based, and traditional bargaining. A former public school teacher, coach and administrator, Adam works closely with elected school leadership and administrative leaders to address student issues, such as special education, bullying, threats, intimidation, school safety, discipline and constitutional rights.
Public Law Planning
Adam’s experience in the public law realm includes working with public entities in contract drafting and daily employer counseling on matters related to hiring, staffing, reductions in force (RIF), wage disputes, non-discrimination, internal investigations, and ethics/conflicts of interest. He advises clients in state and federal procurement integrity matters, competitive bid requirements, quote documentation, and anti-corruption provisions.
Adam has represented Ohio townships, cities, villages, metropolitan housing authorities, regional councils of government and multiple special purpose districts. He has led legal teams in the Midwestern United States (Ohio and Indiana) in the formation of public private partnerships (P3) for equitable housing, transportation, and related social service infrastructure.
Government Contracting + Military Reputation Management
A colonel in the U.S. Army JAG Corps (Reserve), Adam is familiar with U.S. government contracting and procurement requirements. He has advised clients in matters involving the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and FEMA. In his military reputation management practice, he counsels senior commissioned and non-commissioned officers and service members facing administrative investigations.
A former brigade-level commander and U.S. Army War College graduate, Colonel Miller has served two overseas tours in Afghanistan, including most recently as rule of law director for NATO Operation Resolute Support in Kabul.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Gaming + Sports Betting
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate
- Capital University Law School (J.D.,1994)
- U.S. Army War College (M.A., 2016)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1988)
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, member
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, Presidential Direct Commission, 1996
- Ohio State Bar Association, Education Law Committee, past chair
- Ohio State Bar Association, Military Law Committee, past chair
- Meritorious Service Medal, two-time recipient
- National Council of State Legislatures, Military and Veterans Committee, Ohio delegate
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Hilltop Kiwanis Club, past president
- Operation Legal Help Ohio, founder
- Friends of the Hilltop, board member
- Cub Scouts, leader
- Elected to serve as a board member for Grandview Heights City Schools
- Named “Legislator of the Year” by the Ohio Disabled American Veterans organization
- Currently serving as the elected Ohio House representative for the 17th District
- COL and former Brigade level commander, U.S. Army Reserve
- Served two combat theater tours in Afghanistan, including Operation Enduring Freedom and NATO Operation Resolute Support
- Served as a senior policy advisor to the Office of Ohio Governor Richard Celeste from 1985-1986