Luis M. Alcalde has a deep and varied legal background, including complex civil and criminal litigation, global business and international investigations. He focuses his legal practice in the firm’s Global Business, Corporate Investigations and Litigation areas. He joined the firm in 2011.
Born in Cuba and a native Spanish speaker, Alcalde regularly drafts and interprets Spanish language legal documents and contributes his skill and experience in client negotiations, documents and transactions of a cross-border nature.
Luis offers the firm’s clients strategic advice to assist them in developing global markets with a specific emphasis on Spanish and Portuguese speaking markets. He counsels organizations of all sizes regarding business establishment, international trade, strategic alliances, FCPA compliance and anti-counterfeiting strategies.
Alcalde strategically manages and offers advice and solutions regarding domestic and international corporate investigations involving FCPA and other regulatory matters, business due diligence, anti-piracy and counterfeiting.
Luis is seasoned in both protracted litigation and alternative dispute resolution techniques. His practice is primarily focused in the areas of international business disputes and complex litigation.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Sports + Entertainment
- Capital University Law School (LL.M., 2000)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1980)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1977)
- Columbus Council on World Affairs, Chairman, Board of Trustees, 2005-2007
- Ohio Supreme Court Client Security Fund, Commissioner, 2003-2008
- Received the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) 2015 Region X President Award
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® by Law & Politics magazine
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- City of Columbus 2012 Commission, 2008
- Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA), Member and Treasurer, Board of Trustees, 2006-2012
- Mt. Carmel College of Nursing, Member, Board of Trustees, 2009-2010
- Otterbein University, Board of Trustees, member, 2012-2015
- Assisted multinational public company in establishing and operating greenfield operations under the IMMEX Program in Mexico
- Managed privately held US company’s shut down of operations and sale of its assets in Mexico
- Managed multinational public company’s internal corporate investigation in Asia
- As lead trial counsel successfully established jurisdiction in the United States against the Republic of Venezuela in a case filed pursuant to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act involving 100 million dollars in promissory notes and requiring factual and legal investigations in Venezuela and various European countries
- Served as outside and in-house counsel to a world-wide investigation and brand protection company and helped manage its several offices throughout Latin America
- As lead defense counsel defended and managed federal civil rights claims against the cities of Powell and Columbus involving police actions.
- As lead defense counsel defended the State of Ohio in three class action lawsuits involving several State Mental Health Hospitals and the funding of local mental health boards
- Organized and led Ohio Agricultural Trade Mission to Cuba for high level meetings with Cuba’s Foreign and Commerce Ministries, Alimport and the Cuban Chamber of Commerce.
- Awarded the Army Commendation Medal while serving as a United States Army Captain in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps (JAG Corps) where he prosecuted and/or defended over 120 Courts-Martial, provided legal advice to U.S. Army commanders and acted as sole defense counsel for 7,000 infantry troops in West Germany
- “Getting Paid When Selling Internationally,” National Association of Credit Management 2013 Annual Credit Conference, presented 2013
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act & Due Diligence," SCG Legal International Meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil, presented 2013
- "Preparing for Success in Brazil, Colombia & Chile – Legal Perspectives," Ohio Department of Development & Council of Great Lakes Governors Seminar, presented 2012
- "Exporting From the United States: Key Legal Considerations,” Small Business Administration Export Matchmaker Seminar, presented 2012
- "Application of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Peixoto e Cury Seminar, Sao Paulo, Brazil, presented 2012
- "Cuba: The Unchartered Waters of Today and Tomorrow," The Ohio State University, Paul and Marnette Perry Lecture Series in Political Science, presented 2011
- "Corruption Issues in International Business," Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, presented 2010
- "Diversity and Leadership", Inaugural speaker to the Ohio Diversity Latino Talent & Leadership Conference, Columbus, Ohio, presented 2009
- "Application of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," PICA Corporation, Bogota, Colombia, presented 2008
- "Cuban History and Government under Castro," Columbus Council on World Affairs, presented 2005
- "Free Trade Zones in the United States," Union Nacional de Juristas de Cuba, Havana, Cuba, presented 2002