Schuler focuses his practice in the areas of complex litigation, insurance coverage matters and intellectual property protection. He has been with the firm since 1987, and has been chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property area since 2001.
Rob has successfully represented many clients in complex litigation matters. His experience includes patent, copyright and trademark infringement actions, litigating partnership dissolutions, Walker Process antitrust claims, trade secret misappropriations, and rights to post transaction earn-outs. He has had the opportunity to represent clients in litigation on many different types of technology, ranging from software applications used to refurbish turbines, to the equipment used to service nuclear power plants, to the composition of a golf grip. Rob’s representative clients include everything from Fortune 500 companies to local manufacturers.
Intellectual Property Protection
As chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property area, Rob advises clients in safeguarding their intellectual property, including securing trademark and copyright registrations, implementing procedures to protect trade secrets, and assisting clients in the negotiation and drafting of intellectual property licenses. He has experience representing clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings. Rob also assists clients in registering trademarks domestically and internationally through the Madrid Protocol.
Insurance Coverage Litigation
Rob currently represents a national insurance company on its insurance coverage cases in Ohio. His experience in this area includes successfully arguing before the Ohio Supreme Court on an insurance policy construction issue.
- Emerging Businesses
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Medical Marijuana + Hemp
- University of Illinois School of Law (J.D., 1987)
- University of Dayton (B.A., 1983)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Columbus Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA), member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Thomas More Society, Member
- Successfully argued before the Supreme Court of Ohio for reversal of lower courts’ insurance coverage determination, which led to multi-million dollar settlement for client
- Successfully defended clients in patent infringement actions in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Central District of California
- Successfully argued a case before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, resulting in a client’s successful opposition to a competitor’s trademark application