Breitfeller practices in the areas of civil litigation, health care and antitrust, in which he represents small closely-held businesses, as well as publicly traded companies. He joined Kegler Brown in 2006.
Ralph represents health care providers, including doctors, pharmacists, drug distributors and repackagers before numerous federal and state regulatory bodies, Medicaid and other third-party payor audits, Medicaid fraud investigations, and administrative hearings. Ralph also represents doctors in negotiations with health service organizations.
In the area of patient privacy, Ralph has recently advised a “prior authorization” service provider to pharmacies on HIPAA and patient confidentiality issues, including policies and procedures needed. He has also drafted HIPAA and privacy/data protection policies for health care providers, including medical clinics, doctors’ offices and pharmacies, as well as provided in-service training on HIPAA policies.
A member of the Antitrust Law Section Council of the OSBA, Ralph counsels clients on antitrust issues, including distribution arrangements, pricing and Hart-Scott-Rodino premerger notification. He also represents clients in antitrust litigation.
Ralph represents clients in state and federal court, as well as private arbitration proceedings. In forty years of practice, he has appeared in cases involving commercial disputes, antitrust claims, trademark infringement claims, employment issues, health care overpayment and shareholder disputes.
Ralph is experienced in global business issues arising in several other areas of the law. In the health care area, Ralph has advised international medical products companies on U.S. licensing and reimbursement issues. In the antitrust area, Ralph has worked with U.S. and European companies in coordinating responses to antitrust investigations in the U.S. and Europe. Additionally, he has provided antitrust advice, including advice on Hart-Scott-Rodino, to companies involved in cross-border acquisitions.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Georgetown University (J.D., 1978)
- Providence College (B.A., 1975)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Health Lawyers Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, federal court committee, chairman (1991-1992)
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus chapter, president (1994-1995)
- Ohio State Bar Association, federal courts and practice committee, chairman (1995-1997); antitrust section, section council, member (2000-present)
- Ranked as a Recognised Practitioner in Healthcare by Chambers USA, 2017
- Recognized as a Band 2 attorney by Chambers USA for Antitrust Litigation, 2016-2017
- Selected as the 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Antitrust Law by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Charity Newsies, Past Trustee
- Ohio Dominican University, Board of Trustees, 2008-2014
- Former assistant chief of the antitrust section of the Ohio attorney general’s office from 1981-1983
- Served as assistant attorney general of the antitrust section in the Ohio attorney general’s office from 1978-1983