Maria focuses her practice on creditors’ rights, bankruptcy litigation, commercial foreclosures and receiverships, and business litigation matters. She bases that practice on twenty-plus years of experience working in a variety of business, real estate, and litigation matters. Maria joined Kegler Brown in 2020.
Creditors' Rights + Bankruptcy
Maria spends most of her time representing clients in all aspects of creditors’ rights and bankruptcy matters. She represents clients in their Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in both the Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio, and is also involved in litigation related to breaches of representations and warranties stemming from the sale of commercial mortgage-backed securities. She also assists clients through her experience and insight into issues such as foreclosures, collections, garnishments, loan documentation, out-of-court workouts and relief from stay concerns.
In Maria’s litigation practice, she represents businesses and individuals not only in courtrooms, but also in arbitrations, mediations, and throughout administrative proceedings. Her experience includes matters related to employment, securities, probate, class action, and others, as well as issues connected to breach of contract, trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and business and shareholder disputes.
Another aspect of Maria’s practice focuses on real estate litigation where she assists clients with issues related to boundary and easement disputes; the negotiation, drafting and dispute of lease agreements; and title issues, including title insurance defense.
- Banking + Lending
- Employee Relations
- Global Business
- Real Estate
- Kent State University (B.A. 1994)
- Capital University School of Law (J.D. 1997)
- Cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District Court of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District Court of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth District
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Real Estate Committee, Columbus Bar Association, member
- Bankruptcy Law Committee, Columbus Bar Association, member
- Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committee, Columbus Bar Association (2011-2013)
- Women Lawyers of the Columbus Bar Association, member
- Woman Advocate Committee, American Bar Association, member
- Ohio Land Title Association, member
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), member
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio (APABACO), member
- Dublin Chamber Leadership Academy
- Martindale-Hubbell® rating of BV Distinguished®
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Women for Economic Leadership Development (WELD), member