Tom is a seasoned attorney with more than 22 years of practice in Ohio’s transportation industry. Tom focuses his practice primarily in the areas of construction, real estate, litigation, and issues involving state and local governments. Tom is also a registered Professional Engineer in Ohio, earned an MBA and is a Certified Public Purchasing Officer. He joined Kegler Brown in 2021 after more than 31 years of public service in state and local government as a lawyer and contract officer.
Tom represents and advises subcontractors, GCs, material suppliers, design professionals, owners, and others in a wide range of litigation matters and transactions, solving complicated problems with a focus on efficiency and cost-effective service.
Real Estate + Transportation
Tom counsels public and private clients on complex transactions, including engineering and construction contract issues, real estate acquisition and matters involving eminent domain.
With an extensive practical background and education in engineering and previous work experience with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), Tom leverages his insight to provide useful insights for the benefit of his clients. At ODOT, Tom worked in a multitude of capacities, including as a transportation engineer, as the Administrator for the Office of Contract Sales and Estimating, and as Deputy Chief Legal Counsel. Tom also spent four years as an Assistant Attorney General in the Transportation section of the Ohio Attorney General’s office.
From construction disputes to personal injury litigation, Tom represents clients in all forms of disputes, including traditional commercial and civil litigation, project-level claims management, and alternative means of resolution like arbitration and mediation. He understands the costs and benefits of bringing a lawsuit in a particular case, and has the fortitude and skill needed to achieve a favorable outcome.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Government Affairs
- Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate
- Capital University Law School (JD, 1999)
- Magna cum laude
- Franklin University (MBA, 2016)
- The Ohio State University, College of Engineering (BS, 1993)
- Wharton School of Business Online Certification: Leadership in the 21st Century (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- National Institute of Government Purchasing, Certified Public Purchasing Officer, Retired
- NCHRP Project Panel Reviewer: 2020-Present
- Transportation Research Board (TRB) Friend: 2020-Present
- Judicial Extern for the late Honorable John D. Holschuh, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable John P. Bessey, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Hilliard City Planning and Zoning Commission, Member, 2020-Present