Catherine focuses her practice on all aspects of real estate, development and redevelopment. Her practice also includes public law, administrative law, civil litigation, and government and legislative affairs. She joined Kegler Brown in 2012.
Zoning, Land Use, Annexation + Real Estate Development
Catherine focuses specifically in the areas of zoning, land use and annexation. She has experience in associated real estate matters, including but not limited to real estate transactions, platting, and public and private improvements. Catherine has also represented clients in a variety of other development issues, such as joint economic development districts and zones, cooperative economic development agreements, and annexation agreements.
Administrative Law + Litigation
Catherine regularly represents clients before local and regional planning commissions, boards of zoning appeals, county commissioners, and village and city councils, among others in both administrative and legislative hearings. She has practiced extensively in the litigation of administrative appeals and original actions arising from all aspects of annexation, zoning and real estate, including several cases in the Supreme Court of Ohio.
State + Local Tax, Public Law and Government + Legislative Affairs
Catherine advocates for clients on matters of financial and tax incentives in connection with development, such as tax increment financing, community reinvestment areas and enterprise zones. She counsels individuals and commercial entities on tax valuations and practices before county boards of revision, the state board of tax appeals and courts in valuation matters.
- Emerging Businesses
- Energy + Environment
- Government Affairs
- Medical Marijuana + Hemp
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Allegheny College (B.A., 1980)
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- City of Hilliard Housing Council, member
- Ohio Elections Commission, chair (2005-2006), commissioner (2002-2007, 2017-2021)
- Franklin County Tax Incentive Review Council (2002-2007)
- Supreme Court of Ohio Joint Task Force on Gender Fairness (1990-1995)
- Selected as “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Land Use & Zoning Law by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2020-2021, 2018, 2012
- Recognized as a Band 2 attorney in Zoning/Land Use by Chambers USA, 2016-2019
- Recognized as a Top Lawyer in Central Ohio in Land Use and Zoning Law by Columbus Business First, 2009-2012
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer in the areas of Land Use, Zoning and Real Estate, 2012 - 2014, 2018 - 2021
- Recipient of the Finnegan Foundation Award for state government (Pennsylvania, 1980)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Ohio Elections Commission, Commissioner
- Hilliard Housing Council, Member
- Hickory Chase New Community Authority, Trustee
- Assistant Girl Scout Leader, Troop 1248, Seal of Ohio Council, 2004-2014