Chambers USA 2023 Guide Highly Ranks Kegler Brown Attorneys + Practice AreasJune 21, 2023
Chambers and Partners, one of the premier guides to legal resources, has released its annual rankings, which see many Kegler Brown attorneys and practice areas honored in its USA publication.
Overall, eight individual attorneys were recognized, and four practice areas received honors. Complete rankings for Kegler Brown are outlined below (descriptions and quotations are used when they "sum up the prevailing opinion in the market").
The following attorney received a ranking of “Band 1,” the highest ranking offered by the organization:
- Don Gregory is respected for his diverse practice, which incorporates experience handling defect and delay claims, as well as insurance coverage disputes on behalf of contractors and developers in a variety of industries. A client states: "He's a very elegant arbitrator and he's very knowledgeable."
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 2:”
- Scott Doran is lauded by sources for the depth of his environmental expertise and is well versed in handling remediation and permitting issues. Scott has been ranked by Chambers for 19 years and is one of forty to be ranked in Ohio for 2023.
- Todd Kegler acts on a broad spectrum of financing matters and strategic M&A work for corporate clients.
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 3:”
- Steve Barsotti is a respected practitioner who often handles M&A, as part of his broader practice. Clients say that Steve offers truly visionary input for clients. “Steve grasps complex issues extremely quickly and provides amazingly focused and pragmatic advice based on our business needs.”
- Michael Madigan is experienced in trying and mediating construction defect and delay claim disputes on behalf of contractors, owners, and subcontractors. A client states that Mike is “good at representing clients in major matters and he's very professional."
The below attorney received a ranking of “Band 4:”
- Brendan Feheley is increasingly highlighted for his experience in both disputes and advisory matters, including collective bargaining, compensation schemes and discrimination suits. A client says: "“Brendan is a dedicated to our business. We are very appreciative of the support that he gives us.”
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Senior Statesperson:”
- Chuck Kegler has a broad business-facing practice which features strengths in tax law, succession planning issues and wider transactional matters, with particular expertise in working for privately held corporations. "Chuck is a fantastic lawyer."
- Tom Hill is a deeply experienced litigator and accomplished trial lawyer who is well regarded in the Ohio market. He regularly handles complex commercial disputes. "Tom Hill is a formidable trial lawyer."
The following practice areas also received rankings from Chambers USA 2023:
Corporate/M+A (Ohio: South & Central) – Band 2
A solid offering in the corporate law space, with notable areas of strength, including midmarket M+A, private placements, and corporate governance. Known for matters pertaining to the education sector. Offers transaction-adjacent experience in areas including employee benefits, taxation and wider commercial contracts matters. Clients say: "they have an excellent understanding of complex issues;" "the team is exceptional;" and "the firm has a number of experts that can be brought forth to address various matters that may arise in complex business transactions."
Construction (Ohio) – Band 3
A client reports: "The team is very thorough, responsive and professional. The firm’s construction team is known for possessing particular experience working with national trade associations across a variety of construction-related areas. Comes recommended for its work on large Ohio infrastructure and development projects, including hospital, school, and highway projects. Also recognized for its strengths in construction litigation. "Another client reports: “The firm is extremely customer service oriented and very responsive to clients' needs.”
Labor + Employment (Ohio) – Band 4
Kegler Brown continues to be a go-to practice for labor and employment matters concerning assisted care facilities, while also being recognized for its work in the food and services and education arenas. The law firm is frequently engaged to provide counsel in discrimination, harassment, wage, and hour cases. It is also highlighted for its strength in OSHA and NLRB matters. A client says: "The firm's lawyers are all very adept and can distill complicated legal matters into simple terms and action plans."
Real Estate (Ohio) – Band 4
A client says: "Kegler has the technical expertise to handle all our matters. Whether it's normal business matters or complex technical matters, they have someone who can handle it." The real estate team is a sought-after department particularly active in the Columbus market, with a focus on providing counsel to heavyweight developers in Ohio's central region. The firm also offers expert advice to public and private financial entities in leasing and financing work. The team is noted for its expertise in the retail and construction sectors. "They always have answers to any questions we have and give great insights."
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers and Partners is an independent company that awards rankings to practice areas and attorneys in Ohio, nationally and internationally. Chambers in-depth research teams assess lawyers and law firms across more than 200 jurisdictions around the world, providing independent and impartial intelligence and market insight. The objective process follows three steps: submissions put forward by legal practices, interviews during the course of research, and Chambers’ own database resources. Only select attorneys and practice areas are ranked in bands from 1-4, with 1 being the best.