Mike focuses his practice primarily in the areas of construction law and litigation, advising clients on mechanic’s lien, collections and other issues in the construction industry. He joined Kegler Brown in 2005.
Practical Construction Advice
Mike aids clients with all facets of construction, from the initial contract review to warranty issues. He also assists clients with their collection and mechanic's lien issues.
Prior to entering law school, Mike worked as a project manager for a national contractor and has a degree in civil engineering. With his construction and engineering background, Mike seeks to provide practical advice that quickly solves a problem and avoids a costly and protracted dispute.
When a construction claim is unavoidable, Mike assists clients with reserving their rights and compiling their claims. He is proficient in all aspects of construction claims, including labor inefficiencies, delays, and differing jobsite conditions and also assists clients with analyzing and defending against such claims.
Litigation / Alternative Dispute Resolution
Additionally, Mike is experienced in trial and appellate practice and has successfully helped numerous clients resolve disputes through various alternative dispute resolution techniques.
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- University of Dayton (Bachelor of Civil Engineering, 1997)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Subcontractors Association, member
- Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA), fellow
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Charter Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list
- Recognized as a Band 3 attorney for Construction by Chambers USA, 2022-2023
- Recognized as a Band 4 attorney for Construction by Chambers USA, 2019-2021
- Recognized in Columbus CEO, Best Lawyers, 2022
- Selected as the recipient of the 2020 President’s Award from the Builders Exchange of Central Ohio
- Selected as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Construction Law by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Received a CLSA Law Firm Award for excellence in construction law, 2017, 2018
- Actively participated in a three week jury trial over a contractor’s labor inefficiency claim
- Assisted in resolving numerous disputes through the State of Ohio's Article Eight and mediation process
- Acted as project counsel on a variety of projects ranging from $5 million to over $80 million
- Worked as a project manager for the Whiting-Turner Contracting Company out of its Cleveland office from 1997-2002
- LEED Accredited Professional