Brody practices primarily in the areas of litigation, energy, dispute resolution and insolvency. He has been involved in complex litigation, federal bankruptcy and state insolvency proceedings since he joined Kegler Brown in 1979.
Oil + Gas, Litigation and Mediation
John has handled complex oil and gas cases for 30 years. John has litigated and resolved disputes surrounding contracts for purchase of oil and gas properties, landowner challenges to leases, pipeline construction, gas purchase contracts, well and reserve valuations, and more. He is also trained as a mediator.
Creditors' Rights + Bankruptcy
John has experienced the full spectrum of liquidation and reorganization in federal bankruptcy courts, with a focus on litigation of critical issues, and upholding rights of creditors in receiverships and work-outs. John and his colleagues embrace the approach of creating a blend of practical considerations and legal strategies.
Beginning in 1986, John has been involved in a host of insurance, reinsurance and related litigation matters, taking him to the Ohio Supreme Court on several occasions. He has argued successfully in the Ohio appellate courts for the Liquidator on various issues, including arbitration under reinsurance agreements, avoidance actions and claims priority.
- Banking + Lending
- Energy + Environment
- Real Estate
- Case Western Reserve University (J.D., 1979)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1976)
- Summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Selected as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Bankruptcy Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Honored by Chambers USA for expertise in Bankruptcy + Restructuring
- Listed as a Top Attorney in Business Services (Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights) by Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio, advisory board member
- Directions for Youth & Families, board of directors, member
- Goodwill Columbus, past chair
- South Side Settlement House, past president
- “Litigating Key Provisions in Oil + Gas Leases,” Ohio Associate for Justice Winter Convention, November 2013
- “Emerging Issues in Recent Oil and Gas Cases,” Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Conference, April 2013
- Chair of firm’s community service efforts
- Argued successfully in the Ohio appellate courts for the Ohio Insurance Liquidator on various issues