Matt is an experienced litigator who advises clients in all aspects of business disputes, with a strong emphasis on creditors’ rights and bankruptcy matters. Matt joined Kegler Brown in 2021.
Matt brings a diverse range of perspectives to his client engagements through prior experience as in-house counsel for a publicly traded manufacturing company and law clerk to a federal bankruptcy court judge. He has developed a keen understanding of both the business and legal issues at play and views his work through the lens of his clients.
Capable of handling any number of general business matters, Matt focuses his litigation practice on complex commercial disputes, including breach of contract, tortious interference, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. With experience at both the trial and appellate level, he prioritizes efficiency and cost-effectiveness in his work and aims to resolve litigation with the clients’ comprehensive business objectives in mind.
Matt also assists clients in navigating real estate disputes, including transactions, mortgages, liens, and quiet title actions for commercial properties and developments. He has a wealth of experience dealing with commercial real estate matters in insolvency situations, including repossessions, foreclosures, lien disputes, property liquidations, auctions, and sales.
Creditors’ Rights + Bankruptcy
Matt represents individual and business clients in all aspects of creditors’ rights and bankruptcy matters. He brings to bear his knowledge and experience in handling foreclosures, collections, garnishments, executions, receiverships, and more. Representative clientele includes secured creditors, unsecured creditors’ committees, Chapter 7 trustees, business owners, and individuals in all chapters of bankruptcy.
- Banking + Lending
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2016)
- Ohio State Law Journal, Managing Editor, Staff Editor
- Diversity Enrichment Scholar
- Ohio University Honors Tutorial College (B.A., 2013)
- Magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Club Rugby
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- American Bankruptcy Institute, member
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Committee, Vice Chair (2022 – 2024)
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Committee, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Banking, Commercial & Bankruptcy Subcommittee, member
- CBA Barrister Leadership Program, Planning Committee for Class of 2023
- CBA Barrister Leadership Program, Class of 2021
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Star list by Super Lawyers, 2024
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones To Watch, 2022-2023
- Recognized in Columbus CEO, Best Lawyers, 2022
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- The Legal Aid Society of Columbus, Pro Bono Bankruptcy Attorney
- Previously served as local counsel in the Murray Metallurgical Coal bankruptcy cases, one of the largest complex bankruptcy filings in Ohio history
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Charles M. Caldwell, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Judicial extern to the Honorable Edmund A. Sargus, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio