Planning for cross-border trade compliance is an important aspect of business strategy for U.S. companies interested in exporting and for foreign companies looking to expand their businesses to the U.S. Navigating the complex waters of trade compliance requires the insight of experienced professionals; the attorneys at Kegler Brown can help with preparing for both the immediate and long-term opportunities and consequences.
Our lawyers understand international trade laws and regulations and assist businesses in complying with applicable domestic and foreign regulations that govern international trade. We have extensive experience working with regulatory agencies to help our clients obtain licenses and permits and interpret applicable laws to benefit from exemptions and exceptions. Drawing on our vast experience, we are able to assist companies, regardless of size, in managing trade and with any regulatory compliance challenges that arise.
- Export/import regulations
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH)
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS)
- International Material Data System (IMDS)
- California Proposition 65 (Cal Prop 65)
- Environmental laws
- Securities laws
- Anti-diversion laws
- Anti-boycott laws
- Antitrust requirements
- Compliance with free trade agreements (FTAs): determining anticipated tariffs collected on U.S. exports; navigating the benefits and challenges in trading and interpreting the applicability of multiple trade agreements as they apply to specific transactions
- Conflict minerals: counseling clients on compliance with conflict mineral regulations in the U.S.
Our attorneys represent both private and public companies with trade compliance. We work with importers and exporters of goods and services, helping our clients obtain the licenses and permits they need, interpreting applicable laws to benefit from finding exemptions and exceptions, assisting with the implementation of corrective action plans, helping with voluntary disclosures and obtaining favorable treatment from regulatory agencies.
For more information on our trade compliance services, please contact Martijn Steger.