Roger is a trial lawyer experienced in federal and state court litigation, including securities matters, corporate and general commercial disputes, and issues involving director and officer liability. In 2014, Chambers stated "Sugarman is a seasoned litigator with specific expertise in securities matters, among other things.” He has been with Kegler Brown since 1986.
He has been involved in complex business litigation, shareholder disputes and securities class actions in state and federal courts, SEC and Ohio Division of Securities investigations and enforcement actions, insider trading cases, and related criminal proceedings.
His trial experience and counseling of clients in business and financial matters includes the representation of CEOs, CFOs, officers and directors of publicly traded and privately held companies, and serving as counsel to the Ohio Division of Securities.
Roger is also experienced in representing individuals and companies before the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Ohio Division of Securities, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and arbitration panels.
- Banking + Lending
- Energy + Environment
- Global Business
- University of Toledo College of Law (J.D.)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A.)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, board of governors, member
- Columbus Bar Association, securities law committee, past chair
- Columbus Bar Foundation, fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, fellow
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, fellow
- Selected as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Bet-the-Company Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Selected as the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Securities Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV for more than 30 years
- Selected as the 2015 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the areas of Regulatory Enforcement Litigation and Appellate Practice by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Selected as the 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” in Columbus in the area of Securities Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2007 for expertise in Appellate Practice, Securities Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation- Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) and Securities
- Honored in Chambers USA for expertise in General Commercial Litigation
- Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list since 2004
- Recognized as a “Top 100 attorney” in Ohio by Law & Politics magazine
Roger is actively involved in the Columbus community. He is a current member and past President of the Board of Trustees of the Columbus Metropolitan Library. His previous community activities include serving as Chair of the Boards of Trustees of YMCA of Central Ohio, United Way of Central Ohio, The Community Shelter Board, Leadership Columbus, and FIRSTLINK; President of the Athletic Club of Columbus; and as a board member of the Columbus Bar Foundation, The Columbus Marathon, Temple Israel, Columbus Jewish Federation and Columbus School for Girls. He is a Director of State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company and a Trustee of the Temple Israel Foundation.
In recognition of his contributions, Roger has been inducted into the Leadership Columbus Hall of Fame and has received the Columbus Bar Association’s Community Service Award and the AFL-CIO Community Service Award.
- Liabilities of Directors and Officers Under State and Federal Law, Ohio State Bar Association CLE Institutes
- Presenter on securities laws at Columbus Bar Association and Ohio Division of Securities seminars
- Speaker on corporate governance issues to boards of directors