Are You a Federal Contractor?
Kegler Brown E-mployment Alert June 2, 2010
If you are a federal contractor with a government contract valued over $100,000 (or a subcontractor whose contract exceeds $10,000), you have a new notice to post, effective June 19, 2010. The new notice, courtesy of the Obama administration and Executive Order 13495, informs employees of their right to union organization under the National Labor Relations Act.
- The notice informs employees of their right to form, join and assist a union.
- The notice must be posted conspicuously at locations where it will readily be seen by employees.
- Employers who provide notices to employees electronically must also post this notice electronically by posting a link to the Department of Labor website.
- If employees are not proficient in English, the notice must be provided in the employees’ native language(s).
- Employers that fail to post the notice can be subject to sanctions, including cancelation of the federal contract and debarment from future contracts.