We represent both plaintiffs and defendants in the type of high-stakes litigation that requires complex, team-based, organizational communication and trial presentation skills. Our firm's history is highlighted by successful representation of business clients in litigating disputes that involve multiple parties, large witness counts, large volumes of documents, complex electronic information and e-discovery, lengthy trials, complicated factual issues, and in those suits in which the most sensitive critical principles must be sustained. When significant amounts of money, and often the company itself, are at stake, our clients look to our acclaimed team, which features Thomas W. Hill, recently ranked by The Best Lawyers in America as the "Lawyer of the Year" in Columbus for bet-the-company litigation.
With one of the largest litigation practices of any firm in central Ohio, our carefully crafted litigation teams efficiently accomplish the broad array of tasks involved in preparing and presenting these complex lawsuits while never losing sight of the fact that litigation costs should always be controlled.
We have experience representing clients in every area of complex litigation, often involving anti-competitive conduct; breaches of agreements, company policies or practices relating to customers, employees or suppliers; CERCLA environmental claims; large construction disputes; and class action litigation of all types.
- “Bet-the-company” lawsuits: high-stakes lawsuits in which the outcome will likely determine a company's future
- Multi-party construction disputes
- Class and collective actions: focused initially upon defeating class or collective action certification, and thereafter presenting a vigorous defense to the substantive claims
- Civil litigation: representing individuals and companies in contract and business litigation involving top corporate management and fundamental aspects of the company’s business
- Intellectual property litigation: protecting companies’ most valuable brand assets (e.g., trademarks, trade names, patents)
- Environmental litigation: representing business and property owners in cases in which clean-up costs are significant enough to impact business finances
Examples of our representation of clients in notable complex litigation cases include:
- Successful representation of a national defined-benefit pension plan in the trial defense of class action claims pertaining to employers’ pension plan withdrawal liability
- Successful resolution of class action claims brought by employees against a regional fitness facility operator
- Successfully defeating class certification in various class actions brought on behalf of employees, customers and franchisees of an international retail store operator and franchisor
- Instituting litigation to secure retransmission consent rights for network affiliate programming for a leading cable television media company
- Obtaining a $25 million settlement of breach of fiduciary duty claims on behalf of an international manufacturing corporation that was the target of a corporate takeover
- Obtaining an $18 million judgment in a lawsuit arising out of a corporate merger
- Successful trial defense of an international food and dairy products company alleged to have engaged in bid-rigging, price-fixing and territorial allegation in connection with government contracts
- Obtaining injunctive relief protecting critical intellectual property and a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of a regional pizza store operator and franchisor in litigation against one of the nation’s largest pizza store chains
For more information on our complex litigation services, please contact Robert Cohen, Thomas W. Hill or Loriann E. Fuhrer.