Kegler Brown Attorneys + Practice Areas Highly Ranked in the Chambers USA 2022 GuideJune 9, 2022
Chambers and Partners, one of the premier guides to legal resources, has released its annual rankings, which see many Kegler Brown Hill + Ritter attorneys and practice areas honored in its USA publication.
Overall, ten individual attorneys were recognized and five practice areas received honors. Complete rankings for Kegler Brown are outlined below (descriptions and quotations are used when they "sum up the prevailing opinion in the market").
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 1” from Chambers USA 2022, the highest ranking offered by the organization:
- Don Gregory is respected for his diverse practice, which incorporates experience handling defect and delay claims, as well as insurance coverage disputes on behalf of contractors and developers in a variety of industries. Clients say: "There is no one better for the design and construction industry in the region than Don Gregory." "Don Gregory is a top-notch attorney who efficiently manages complex matters and has great instincts." "Don is a superb construction trial lawyer."
- Catherine Cunningham operates a sophisticated practice which encompasses experience of annexations and economic development incentives.
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 2” by Chambers USA 2022:
- Scott Doran is lauded by sources for the depth of his environmental expertise and is well versed in handling remediation and permitting issues. "He is an excellent lawyer." "Scott is very knowledgeable; a good counselor and litigator."
- Todd Kegler acts on a broad spectrum of financing matters and strategic M&A work for corporate clients. "Todd is a good lawyer and practical in his approach."
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 3” by Chambers USA 2022:
- Steve Barsotti is a respected practitioner who often handles M&A, as part of his broader practice. "He helps to get things accomplished in an efficient manner."
- Chuck Kegler has a broad business-facing practice which features strengths in tax law, succession planning issues and wider transactional matters, with particular expertise in working for privately held corporations. "Chuck is a great lawyer."
- Michael Madigan is experienced in trying and mediating construction defect and delay claim disputes on behalf of contractors, owners and subcontractors. Clients say: "Mike is excellent, experienced and precise with his legal services." "Mike is a seasoned construction attorney who is capable of managing complex matters." "Mike is an excellent construction trial lawyer."
- Larry McClatchey is an experienced litigator who has significant expertise in matters concerning corporate bankruptcies, where he advises creditors, debtors, and trustees on areas such as preference claims, administrative issues and broader commercial litigation.
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 4” by Chambers USA 2022:
- Brendan Feheley is increasingly highlighted for his experience in both disputes and advisory matters, including collective bargaining, compensation schemes and discrimination suits. Clients say: "Brendan Feheley is very thorough. He does great research and reaches usable solutions. His communication and follow-up are solid." "His experience and responsiveness are exemplary."
The following attorney received a ranking of “Senior Statesperson” by Chambers USA 2022:
- Tom Hill is a deeply experienced litigator and accomplished trial lawyer who is well regarded in the Ohio market. He regularly handles complex commercial disputes as well as product liability cases. "Tom Hill is a very good, seasoned trial attorney. He will master every detail of a case."
The following practice areas also received rankings from Chambers USA 2022:
Corporate/M&A (Ohio: South & Central) – Band 2
A solid offering in the corporate law space, with notable areas of strength, including midmarket M&A, private placements, and corporate governance. Known for matters pertaining to the education sector. Offers transaction-adjacent experience in areas including employee benefits, taxation and wider commercial contracts matters. A highlight that was noted was the work Kegler Brown did when advising Value Recovery Group on its acquisition of MidAmerican Global Ventures.
Construction (Ohio) – Band 3
A client reports: "There is no other legal team I would rather work with on a project than Kegler Brown Hill & Ritter." Possesses particular experience working with national trade associations across a variety of construction-related areas. Comes recommended for its work on large Ohio infrastructure and development projects, including hospital, school and highway projects. Also recognized for its strengths in construction litigation.
Labor & Employment (Ohio) – Band 4
Kegler Brown continues to be a go-to practice for labor and employment matters concerning assisted care facilities, while also being recognized for its work in the food and services and education arenas. The law firm is frequently engaged to provide counsel in discrimination, harassment, and wage and hour cases. It is also highlighted for its strength in OSHA and NLRB matters. Clients praise the firm for the lawyers in the practice area being very adept and ability to distill complicated legal matters into simple terms and action plans. A client says: "All of the attorneys we have worked with at Kegler Brown have been extremely knowledgeable but more importantly pragmatic in relation to our business and operations." A work highlight for the area was defending Automator Marking Systems in discrimination claims brought by a former employee before the EEOC.
Litigation (Ohio) – Band 4
Strong litigation practice with experience acting for both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes trials. Handles a variety of disputes, including personal injury claims, securities litigation, and competition law matters.
Real Estate (Ohio) – Band 4
A client says: "The team is excellent. I appreciate the strategic planning. The level of expertise and thinking ahead is helpful." Sought-after department particularly active in the Columbus market, with a focus on providing counsel to heavyweight developers in Ohio's central region. Also offers expert advice to public and private financial entities in leasing and financing work. Noted for its expertise in the retail and construction sectors. Particularly adept at assisting with the development of opportunity zone projects.
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers and Partners is an independent company that awards rankings to practice areas and attorneys in Ohio, nationally and internationally. The objective process follows three steps: submissions put forward by legal practices, interviews during the course of research, and Chambers’ own database resources. Only select attorneys and practice areas are ranked in bands from 1-6, with 1 being the best.