Chambers USA 2021 Rankings Continue to Recognize Kegler Brown Attorneys + Practice AreasJune 18, 2021
Chambers and Partners, one of the premier guides to legal resources, has released its annual rankings, which sees many Kegler Brown Hill + Ritter attorneys honored in its USA publication.
Overall, ten individual attorneys were recognized and five practice areas also received honors.
Chambers and Partners is an independent company that awards rankings to practice areas and attorneys in Ohio, nationally and internationally. The objective process follows three steps: submissions put forward by legal practices, interviews during the course of research, and Chambers’ own database resources. Only select attorneys and practice areas are ranked in bands from 1-6, with 1 being the best. Complete rankings for Kegler Brown are outlined below (descriptions and quotations are used when they "sum up the prevailing opinion in the market").
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 1” by Chambers USA 2021, the highest ranking offered by the organization:
- Don Gregory is respected for his diverse construction practice, which incorporates experience handling defect and delay claims, as well as insurance coverage disputes on behalf of contractors and developers in a variety of industries. "He's an experienced trial lawyer who is persuasive and efficient." "He has an encyclopedic knowledge of construction law."
- Catherine Cunningham operates a sophisticated zoning + land use practice, which encompasses experience of annexations and economic development incentives. "She's thorough, practical and works disputes to a good resolution." "She's an expert in annexation law."
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 2” by Chambers USA 2021:
- Scott Doran is lauded by sources for the depth of his environmental expertise and is well versed in handling remediation and permitting issues. “Scott does a really good job of getting solutions for his clients. He is as good a wetlands lawyer as there is.”
- Todd Kegler acts on a broad spectrum of financing matters and strategic M&A work for corporate clients. "He provides pragmatic advice and efficient approaches to problems." "He's a reasonable, results-oriented M&A lawyer."
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 3” by Chambers USA 2021:
- Chuck Kegler has a broad business-facing practice, which features strengths in tax law, succession planning issues and wider transactional matters, with particular expertise in working for privately held corporations. "He's a trusted M&A adviser for his clients."
- Larry McClatchey is an experienced litigator who has significant expertise in matters concerning corporate bankruptcies, where he advises creditors, debtors and trustees on areas such as preference claims, administrative issues and broader commercial litigation. "An excellent bankruptcy and creditors’ rights attorney." "He is a very even-keeled and practical lawyer who is well versed in bankruptcy."
The following attorneys received a ranking of “Band 4” by Chambers USA 2021:
- Steve Barsotti is experienced in a range of IP protection and commercialization mandates. "He is one of the smartest lawyers I've worked with and has a fantastic way of providing legal protection while getting things through the finish line."
- Brendan Feheley is increasingly highlighted for his employment experience in both disputes and advisory matters, including collective bargaining, workers' compensation schemes and discrimination suits. "He is timely, efficient and great to communicate with." "He has done a terrific job at assessing circumstances, evaluating facts and working to an acceptable and realistic solution."
- Michael Madigan is experienced in trying and mediating construction defect and delay claim disputes on behalf of contractors, owners and subcontractors. "He has an excellent knowledge of how to craft appropriate design and construction contracts." "He is a very good litigator who looks to resolve issues.”
The following attorney received a ranking of “Senior Statesperson” by Chambers USA 2021:
- Tom Hill is a deeply experienced litigator and accomplished trial lawyer who is well regarded in the Ohio market. He regularly handles complex commercial disputes, as well as product liability cases. "He is one of the best-respected attorneys in Ohio."
The following practice areas received rankings from Chambers USA 2021:
Corporate/M+A – Band 2
A solid offering in the corporate law space, with notable areas of strength, including midmarket M&A, private placements and corporate governance. Particular strength in matters pertaining to the education sector. Offers transaction-adjacent experience in areas including employee benefits, taxation and wider commercial contracts matters. A client reports: "They do a good job of helping us stay organized and are able to handle different types of requests." A commentator says: "They're business-savvy and make transactions an efficient process for family-owned businesses."
Construction – Band 3
Possesses particular experience working with national trade associations across a variety of construction-related areas. Comes recommended for its work on large Ohio infrastructure and development projects, including hospital, school and highway projects. Also recognized for its strengths in construction litigation. Clients praise the firm for its "very broad knowledge of Ohio construction law." "They are knowledgeable, experienced and there when we need them," enthuses a market source.
Labor + Employment - Band 4
Continues to be a go-to practice for labor and employment matters concerning assisted care facilities, while also recognized for its work in the food, services and education arenas. Frequently engaged to provide counsel in discrimination and retaliation cases. Also highlighted for its strength in class actions, as well as arbitrations. A client comments: "The Kegler Brown team works cohesively, advocates for clients' interests and provides realistic counsel." Another interviewee says: "What really sets them apart is not only their broad skill set, but also that they treat you like their most important client and do it seamlessly. The firm navigated COVID-19 so well, with great ongoing communication." "This team seems to work closely together to support our business," reports another source, adding: "They get to know their customers and our needs and then work together to offer the highest level of service."
Real Estate – Band 4
Sought-after department particularly active in the Columbus market, with a focus on providing counsel to heavyweight developers in Ohio's central region. Also offers expert advice to public and private financial entities in leasing and financing work. Noted for its expertise in the retail and construction sectors. Particularly adept at assisting with the development of opportunity zone projects. Commentators praise the firm for being "very efficient, responsive and knowledgeable." Clients characterize the firm's lawyers as "extremely smart, motivated, and client-focused."
Litigation – Band 4
Strong litigation practice with experience acting for both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes trials. Handles a variety of disputes, including personal injury claims, securities litigation and competition law matters. One commentator reports: "They are experienced and capable. Their expertise and knowledge combined with their communicative style allowed us to make the best decisions for our circumstances." Another praises the team's "prompt attention, depth of understanding of our particular environment and clear direction on resolving matters."