Erin focuses her practice in the areas of corporate matters, securities, and M+A. Erin has worked closely with clients in a wide variety of industries, including software and technology, marketing, energy, manufacturing, health care, retail, restaurant and food production, as well as non-profit organizations.
Corporate + Securities
Erin counsels businesses to strategically meet a wide variety of legal needs, from growth stages to public companies. Erin routinely assists with business structuring and reorganizations, corporate governance, private offerings of equity and other fundraising transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, and public securities compliance.
Mergers + Acquisitions
Erin assists clients, both domestic and international, public and private, in a variety of transactions, including mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases, recapitalizations, divestitures, and other investments. In connection with these transactions, she guides clients efficiently and effectively through contract drafting and negotiation, premerger notification filings, tax structuring, and diligence.
Erin advises non-profit organizations, including 501(c)(3) public charities, 501(c)(3) private foundations, 501(c)(4) civic associations, and 501(c)(6) trade associations regarding formation, membership, corporate governance, federal tax exempt status, state-based registration requirements, and dissolution.
Erin drafts and negotiates commercial contracts for both customers and vendors across a broad range of industries, including confidentiality agreements, service agreements, product purchase agreements, broker/sales representative agreements, exclusive supply agreements, reseller agreements, independent contractor agreements, joint ventures, joint development agreements, license agreements, software as a service (SaaS) subscription agreements, maintenance agreements, and staffing agreements.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Georgetown University (B.S., 2004)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (2002-2003)
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Association for Corporate Growth, member
- Women in Transactions, member
- CBA Barrister Leadership Program, Class of 2012
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2013
- Columbus Business First, Forty Under 40 Award, 2019
- Selected as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers, 2019
- Selected as an "Associate to Watch" by Chambers USA, 2014-2016
- 2015: Chambers USA reported that, “Herbst is praised for being ‘very practical in her approach and thorough in her execution.’”
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Kegler Brown Hill + Ritter, Community Service and Pro Bono Matters Committee, chair
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Catholic Social Services of Central Ohio, Board of Trustees
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, pro bono attorney
- Women for Economic Leadership Development (WELD), member
- United Way Cinquefoil Fellowship Group, member
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Franklin County, former member of Board of Trustees, past president (2017)
- Before law school, worked as a financial analyst for Citigroup Corporate and Investment Bank in New York, specializing in international tax and transfer pricing, 2004-2006
- National Champion, Manne Moot Court Competition for Law and Economics at George Mason University, 2009
- Acknowledged as a Public Service Fellow with Recognition, for time spent with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, 2009
- Judicial extern at the Ohio Supreme Court for Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer, 2008