Katja joined Kegler Brown in 2013, focusing predominantly in the firm’s Corporate and M+A practices, providing legal due diligence expertise and offering creative and efficient strategies on complex domestic and cross-border deals, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, recapitalizations, and joint ventures. She is also an active member of the Global Business practice, focusing on the European market.
A native of Germany, Katja graduated from Juristische Fakultät (law school) University of Passau, Germany, and spent a year at Capital University Law School, participating in the study abroad program before finishing her degree in Germany. Katja returned to Ohio to graduate from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law with a concentration in business law, receiving her LL.M. in 2012.
Privacy + Data Security
Katja works with businesses to help navigate the legal requirements related to privacy and data security, helping to reduce the risk of a data breach and efficiently structure the process of responding to a breach, in order to reduce their exposure to litigation and limit loss. She creates and reviews policies and processes, crafts and assesses training programs, and negotiates vendor and customer agreements. Katja also assists clients with creating and managing policies and processes necessary for compliance with and response to enforcement actions under U.S. and global privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Katja is well-versed in all aspects of business creation and preservation. She provides advice to growth-stage companies on numerous aspects of formation and organization, assisting clients with LLC creation, entity structuring and negotiating commercial agreements with national and international parties. Additionally, clients looking to buy or sell a business utilize Katja’s counsel in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other transactions. She provides effective risk management analysis along with legal due diligence that streamlines and clarifies transactions.
Katja’s international roots and extensive business background have helped her establish a great deal of experience working with companies that have global operations. She advises international business clients on issues of U.S. law related to cross-border transactions, contract negotiation, entity selection and formation, as well as winding-down procedures.
In addition, Katja helps guide public and private university clients through the complex regulatory and funding process involved in global expansion. She works with educational leaders and university counsel to address the complex contractual, tax and regulatory issues at play in a particular country or region, assisting them to develop and execute new market (entry) strategies, implement project development initiatives, and establish education support services or recruiting initiatives.
- Emerging Businesses
- Franchise + Distribution
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E, 2020)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (LL.M., 2012)
- Juristische Fakultät (law school), Universität Passau (2011)
- Capital University Law School (Study Abroad Program, 2007-2008)
- International & Graduate Affairs Advisory Council, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, co-chair
- Kegler Brown Women's Collaborative, co-chair
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA), member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), KnowledgeNet Co-Chair, Columbus Chapter
- German-American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Advisory Council on Diversity Initiatives (ACDI) committee, member
- Columbus Bar Association, International Lawyers Committee, member
- Selected to the 2017 Ohio Rising Star list by Super Lawyers
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, mentor