Hot Topics in the EU for Universities – Brexit + GDPR
Join us for a webinar with attorneys from Kegler Brown’s Globalization of Education and Privacy + Data Security practices, and guest speaker Anil Patel, Assistant Attorney General and member of Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s Cyber and Privacy Unit, as they discuss the impact of GDPR on universities, and share insights and best practices focused on common issues facing universities.
In this webinar, we will discuss the impact of Brexit on U.S. universities and colleges, and its implications with respect to an EU strategy for U.S. educational institutes covering IP protection, student recruitment, collaborative research, etc.
Further, the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) goes into effect May 25, 2018 and will require many universities and other organizations that send students to the EU, provide courses to individuals in the EU, undertake online education in the EU, engage alumni in the EU, or otherwise offer goods or services to individuals in the EU to dramatically update their operations and how they handle data and related compliances.
To ensure compliance and to avoid financial penalties of up to €20 million or 4% of global turnover (whichever is greater), these universities must implement technical and organizational measures to meet the requirements of GDPR and protect the information of data subjects.
Attend this webinar to learn:
- What Brexit means to universities and how it impacts an EU strategy;
- An overview of GDPR and Privacy Shield, and how they may be applicable to U.S. universities;
- Considerations and practical suggestions related to GDPR from the perspective of Attorney General Mike DeWine’s Cyber and Privacy Unit; and
- Specific details on penalties under GDPR, and how these penalties may be enforced against organizations, including organizations that do not have a physical presence in the EU.
The webinar will close with a 15-minute Q+A.
- Vinita Mehra, Director + Co-Leader, Global Business Practice
- Victoria E. Beckman, Co-Chair, Privacy + Data Security Practice
- David M. Wilson, Co-Chair, Privacy + Data Security Practice
- Anil Patel, Assistant Attorney General, Ohio Attorney General's Office
To RSVP for this webinar please RSVP by Friday, April 13 by contacting Korri Titus at [email protected] or (614) 255-5515.