Eric’s practice focuses on nearly all the needs a business will have throughout its lifecycle, from startup and formation through capital raising and, ultimately, sale, including M+A, corporate finance, intellectual property, and succession planning. He also serves as outside general counsel to a number of clients. He joined Kegler Brown in 2006.
Mergers + Acquisitions
Eric advises buyers and sellers in acquisition transactions, including mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases and reorganizations (both domestic and international). He also has experience in deal structuring and negotiation and regularly provides counsel to clients on all legal aspects of business combinations. With a focus on the M+A needs of the technology industry, Eric guides clients through all deal-making aspects and strategic considerations unique to that sector, including structuring, execution, risk management and mitigation, synergies and post-transaction integration. As the numbers of deals involving tech targets are growing faster than the general M+A market, Eric provides essential assistance to both buyers and sellers, especially growth-stage companies interested in accelerating their growth through acquisitions, or seeking an exit.
Eric advises both new and established businesses in matters related to organization, capitalization, finance and structure, contract negotiation and the fiduciary duties of an organization’s directors and officers. He assists business clients with intellectual property strategies involving trademarks, copyrights, and software and technology agreements. Eric also advises clients on issues involving executive compensation, deferred compensation, stock options and other equity awards.
He also helps business and individual clients identify, protect and preserve their assets by providing counsel on issues regarding estate planning and succession planning for business owners, such as buy-sell agreements and wealth transfer strategies.
- Emerging Businesses
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Drake University (B.A., 2003)
- American Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Buddy Up Tennis, volunteer
- City of Bexley Charter Review Commission, member (November 2009 through March 2011)
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2012
- “Tax Savings Strategies During Acquisitions” and “Structuring and Drafting the Acquisition Agreement,” presented at the National Business Institute’s Helping Your Client Buy or Sell a Small-to-Medium Sized Business on October 18, 2011
- “Tax Implications of the Deal Structure” and “Ethics in M&A,” presented at the National Business Institute’s Mergers and Acquisitions: Nuts and Bolts on December 9, 2010
Previous Career Highlights
- Sports reporter and photographer for two commercial television stations in Des Moines, Iowa from 2000-2002
- Production assistant for ABC News coverage of the 2000 Iowa Caucuses