Jason focuses his practice in the areas of business litigation, intellectual property disputes, probate litigation, and legal ethics and malpractice. He has been honored as a Rising Star in Ohio by Super Lawyers every year since 2014. In 2016, he was part of the team that served as counsel to the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign in federal court litigation to uphold and protect Ohio voting rights. He has significant experience litigating state and federal constitutional issues. Jason began practicing law in 2009 after a career in the non-profit arts community. Currently, he serves as the firm’s Co-Director of Associate Development.
Business + IP Litigation
Jason has represented clients at all phases of business litigation, serving as lead trial counsel on a wide variety of cases in both state and federal courts. He has litigated breach of contract cases, business ownership disputes, trademark and trade dress cases, fiduciary litigation, and construction matters.
He has briefed numerous cases in Ohio appellate courts and drafted briefs for several cases before the Ohio Supreme Court. For example, in 2012 Jason briefed, argued and won a case in Ohio’s Tenth District Court of Appeals involving enforcement of Ohio criminal statutes by private citizens. In 2017, he briefed and argued a contract dispute before Ohio’s Twelfth District Court of Appeals involving novel questions of arbitration and trial procedure.
In 2010 Jason assisted in briefing and oral argument preparation for the Respondent in a federal court jurisdiction case before the U.S. Supreme Court: Levin v. Commerce Energy.
In 2016 he and a colleague tried a contract dispute in the Franklin County Municipal Court and won a total plaintiffs judgment for all damages claimed.
In the probate litigation field, Jason has served as primary trial attorney in will contest actions, trust actions, guardianship litigation and lawsuits alleging the concealment or embezzlement of estate or trust assets. In 2017 he briefed and argued a will contest case before Ohio’s Third District Court of Appeals.
Legal Ethics + Malpractice
Jason has also represented attorneys involved in disciplinary proceedings as well as attorneys accused of legal malpractice. In 2016, at Ohio’s Tenth District Court of Appeals, he briefed a legal malpractice case and won a total defense verdict with no liability for his clients.
Jason regularly presents CLE programs across the state regarding legal ethics and professionalism. He also presents CLE programs on legal ethics in estate planning and probate litigation and is a contributor for the Ohio Legal Ethics blog.
- Emerging Businesses
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Global Business
- Health Care
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Ohio Wesleyan University (B.A., 2000)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- American Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, secretary
- Selected to the Ohio Rising Star list by Super Lawyers, 2014-2017
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Friends of WOSU, board member
- MadLab Theatre Company, board treasurer
- Rising Professionals Council, OSU Moritz College of Law, member
- Thurber House Literary Center, Board of Trustees, former member + past president