Expert Witness Services
When selecting a substantive and impactful expert witness, experience is everything. Geoff Stern consistently delivers the requisite expertise and careful judgment needed when thoughtful consideration is essential. Having served as an expert witness or consultant in literally hundreds of matters, including appearances in nearly 200 Ohio Supreme Court cases, Geoff is a prudent choice when a true voice of reason is required in court.
The outcome of Geoff’s testimony is often substantial and measurable. In a recent case, Geoff served as a key expert witness against an AmLaw 200 law firm resulting in a plaintiff verdict of $12.9 million in compensatory damages.
Chair of the Kegler Brown’s Professional Responsibility practice, Geoff is known and highly regarded not only for his multi-dimensional experience in professional responsibility and legal ethics, but also for his ability to synthesize complex facts and questions of law into clear, concise answers that make sense and influence decision makers.
Expert Witness Credentials
Geoff possesses the innate ability to establish immediate credibility as an expert witness. This is based not only on his extensive litigation career, but also his equally impressive leadership and service record. He is the only lawyer to have served as both Disciplinary Counsel of the Supreme Court of Ohio and Chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Committee on Legal Ethics and Professional Conduct.
Known as a lawyers’ lawyer and respected for his peer-to-peer counsel, Geoff has been sought out to present on a variety of topics for some of the most prestigious law firms in the world, a selection of which includes Baker & Hostetler; Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease; Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur; and Bricker & Eckler, among others.
To further highlight his expert status, Geoff is listed among the most respected attorney peer review services in such publications as The American Lawyer, Ohio Super Lawyers, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law and through his fellowship in the Litigation Counsel of America. Geoff was also recently selected for inclusion in the The Best Lawyers in America as both the Columbus “Appellate Lawyer of the Year” and “Professional Malpractice Lawyer of the Year.” He also received the Columbus Bar Association Liberty Bell Award for service to his profession and community, and has earned recognition from the Ohio State Bar Association for service to the legal industry.
Geoff has delivered more than 400 presentations, a sampling of which includes as an educator for the:
- OSBA/Trinity Lutheran Seminary Faith and Law Symposium (Keynote speaker)
- Fudan University, Shanghai, China, on Legal Ethics
- Practising Law Institutes, Boston, New York and San Francisco, on Litigation Management and Legal Ethics
- ABA Commission on Impaired Attorneys, Minneapolis and Vancouver
- Attorneys' Conferences for Nationwide Insurance Company and Eaton Corp.
- Network of American Trial Law Firms, Florida and South Carolina
- Ohio Lawyers Assistance Program
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers Annual Meetings and Family Law Conferences
- Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association
- Ohio Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys
- The Ohio State University
- Ohio Ethics Commission
- Ohio Attorney General’s Office