Matt has 15 years of experience advising borrowers and lenders, buyers and sellers, and business owners in various industries. He counsels them through multiple legal needs, including business restructuring, insolvency issues, purchase and sale transactions, and risk management. Joining Kegler Brown in 2014, Matt practices in the areas of creditors' rights and bankruptcy, mergers and acquisitions, banking and lending, and general corporate matters.
In order to meet their business needs, Matt helps businesses develop, implement and evaluate corporate strategies. He assists clients with business structuring and reorganization, financing transactions, purchases and sales, and contract drafting and negotiation. Advising both public and private companies, Matt has experience working with clients in a wide variety of industries, including energy, health care, logistics, manufacturing, real estate and retail.
Creditors' Rights + Bankruptcy
Matt has represented clients in all aspects of bankruptcy, creditors' rights and insolvency matters. He has represented debtors, creditors, creditors' committees and bondholder committees in Chapter 11 proceedings, trustees in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 proceedings, receivers in state court receivership proceedings, and plaintiffs and defendants in various forms of insolvency litigation. Matt also has significant experience with out-of-court workouts, "distressed" purchases and sales, and various forms of business and financial restructurings.
Mergers + Acquisitions
Representing clients in both the purchase and sale of businesses, primarily in the middle market, Matt has helped clients in asset purchases and sales, business acquisitions and dispositions, auctions, private equity matters and corporate restructurings. He assists clients with the development of purchase and/or sale strategies, choosing and retaining financial advisors, participating in auctions, advising boards on fiduciary duties, and drafting and negotiating transaction documents.
Banking + Lending
Matt assists clients on various banking and lending matters, including loan documentation, creditors' rights matters, risk management and evaluation, distressed sales and collection matters.
- Banking + Lending
- Health Care
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Indiana State Bar Association, member
- Turnaround Management Association, member
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, adjunct faculty, 2004-2009
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- St. Francis of Assisi School, Advisory Committee, member
- Lake Erie Silver Dolphins, board member
- Hawken School Alumni Board, immediate past president
- Hawken School Board of Trustees, former member
- Economics America, former board member