Our firm has a long history of representing public utilities and commercial and industrial customers who are stakeholders in regulatory public utility proceedings. We provide comprehensive counsel and representation in administrative proceedings and civil litigation, as well as guidance on a variety of transactional and contractual issues. Our clients include public utilities, competitive retail electricity and natural gas suppliers regulated by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO), and businesses served by or providing services to public utilities.
Our energy and utilities expertise is substantial. Andrew J. Sonderman, the practice area chief, served as general counsel for nine natural gas distribution utilities in the Columbia Energy Group (later known as NiSource Inc.). He has also coordinated and directed the regulatory cases of affiliated natural gas distribution utilities operating in six states, as well as intrastate pipelines. Further, six of the attorneys in this area have been “AV” rated – the highest ranking available – in Martindale Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings; this rating is available only to lawyers with a decade or more of experience who fulfill a variety of criteria demonstrating their exceptional skill and preeminent experience.
- General legal counsel: guidance regarding contractual and regulatory matters
- Utility Commission proceedings representation: general rate cases; commodity purchase audit proceedings; service complaint cases; mergers and acquisitions approvals; securities and debt issuance approvals; rule-making proceedings
- Litigation counsel: commercial collection; contract disputes; third-party damage claims
- Compliance counsel: pipeline safety regulations; competitive retail gas/electric certification; reporting and marketing/enrollment regulations
Our regulated industries practice focuses primarily on Ohio-based business clients. While our clients range in size and organizational structure, all are either utility delivery services, competitive gas or electricity suppliers, or commercial, industrial or public consumers of these services and supplies.
Our experience includes representing multi-state public utility operations and negotiating terms and coordinating state utility regulatory approvals for securities issuances, mergers and acquisitions, and affiliate transactions.
Our key client types include:
- Public utilities
- Competitive retail electricity and natural gas suppliers
- Commercial and industrial customers