Our firm has a long history of representing public utilities and commercial and industrial customers who are stakeholders in regulatory public utility proceedings. We provide comprehensive counsel and representation to utilities, competitive gas or electricity suppliers, and commercial, industrial or public consumers in administrative proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio and civil litigation, as well as guidance on a variety of transactional and contractual issues.
Our energy and utilities expertise is substantial. Five of the attorneys in this area have been “AV” rated – the highest ranking available – in Martindale Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings; this rating is available only to lawyers with a decade or more of experience who fulfill a variety of criteria demonstrating their exceptional skill and preeminent experience.
- General legal counsel: provide guidance regarding contractual and regulatory matters
- Public utility commission proceedings representation: provide representation in connection with general rate cases; commodity purchase audit proceedings; service complaint cases; mergers and acquisitions approvals; securities and debt issuance approvals; rule-making proceedings
- Ohio public utility certification: prepare and provide compliance review of competitive retail service applications for initial and renewal certification; act as liaison to Commission Staff through certification process
- Litigation counsel: defend and prosecute commercial collection actions; contract disputes; third-party damage claims
- Compliance counsel: provide advice regarding compliance
with pipeline safety regulations; annual reporting requirements; marketing and enrollment procedures for in-house representatives and third-party vendors
- Energy efficiency: present opportunities for business customers to utilize utility incentives and assist with the application process and subsequent casework
Our clients, whether Ohio-based or out-of-state, rely on us to help them navigate the framework of the Ohio regulatory landscape. We provide effective representation to clients in rate case proceedings, energy efficiency arrangements and other casework to further our clients’ interests and assist with achieving outcomes beneficial to our clients’ business. We pride ourselves on providing efficient client service and partnering with our clients to help them run successful businesses.
Our key client types include:
- Commercial and industrial customers
- Public utilities
- Competitive retail electricity and natural gas suppliers
- Natural gas and oil transmission pipelines