Ohio has an active and dynamic public utility landscape. Our firm has a long history of representing public utilities and commercial and industrial customers who are stakeholders in regulatory public utility proceedings. We provide comprehensive counsel and representation to utilities, competitive gas and electricity suppliers, and commercial, industrial or public consumers in administrative proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio and in civil litigation, in addition to counseling clients on a variety of transactional and contractual issues.
- General legal counsel: We provide practical guidance regarding contractual and regulatory matters.
- Public utility commission proceedings representation: Our attorneys present effective representation of our clients’ interests in rate cases, utility rider proposals, commodity purchase audit proceedings, service complaint cases, mergers and acquisitions approvals, securities and debt issuance approvals, and rule-making proceedings.
- Ohio public utility certification: Our lawyers assist in the procurement of timely approvals, prepare and provide compliance reviews of competitive retail service applications for initial and renewal certification, and act as liaisons to Commission Staff through the certification process.
- Litigation counsel: We defend and prosecute commercial collection actions, contract disputes, and third-party damage claims.
- Compliance counsel: Our experience enables our attorneys to furnish sound advice regarding compliance with ever-changing administrative regulations, including annual reporting requirements, rider updates, pipeline safety rules, and marketing and enrollment procedures for in-house representatives and third-party vendors.
- Energy efficiency: We develop and present opportunities for business customers to utilize utility incentives and special arrangements and assist with the application process and subsequent casework.
Our clients, whether Ohio-based or out of state, rely on us to help them navigate the shifting framework of the Ohio regulatory landscape. We provide competent and effective representation to clients in regulated utility casework and assist deregulated entities in compliance proceedings. We have experience with energy efficiency applications and other special arrangements to further our clients’ interests and assist with achieving outcomes beneficial to our clients’ businesses. We pride ourselves on providing expeditious and efficient client service and on partnering with our clients to help them run successful businesses and organizations.
Our key client types include:
- Commercial and industrial customers
- Public utilities
- Competitive retail electricity and natural gas suppliers
- Natural gas and oil transmission pipelines
- Trade associations
For more information on our energy services for regulated industries, please contact Christopher J. Allwein or Scott Doran.