Lloyd focuses his practice on government affairs and civil litigation, advocating for clients before state and local government bodies. He joined Kegler Brown in 2013 after spending 15 years in both private and public practice.
Government + Legislative Affairs
Lloyd’s government affairs experience includes service as majority caucus counsel for the Ohio House of Representatives in which he advised legislative members and staff on legislation, ethics and employment matters, and negotiated with the Senate and executive branch agencies. Lloyd worked closely with legislative leaders in developing legislative priorities during the biennial budget process and was heavily involved in the legislative work on Ohio’s 2009 casino initiative, which authorized the construction and operation of four casinos in the state.
Over the course of his career, Lloyd has worked on a number of legislative, judicial, presidential and gubernatorial campaigns, providing advice and input to public officeholders and candidates. He works closely with clients in forming public policy agendas and strategies for passing, defeating or amending state legislation.
Lloyd’s litigation practice encompasses all phases of the civil practice from traditional discovery to trial and appeals in both commercial and personal injury matters, to administrative appeals on behalf of affected state licensees and on behalf of the state as special counsel to the Attorney General. Lloyd has tried a number of cases to juries and to the bench, has argued before the Federal Circuit and State courts of appeals, and has briefed and argued both original actions and appeals before the State and US Supreme Court. His representation has included matters on behalf of private individuals, government entities and businesses as both plaintiff and defendant. As a result of his diverse experience and insights, he has served as mediator for a variety of complex cases.
- Government Affairs
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Clark University (B.A., 1994)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ohio Lobbying Association, member
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee (2005-2006), Admissions Committee (1999-2001), member
- American Bar Association, member
- National Bar Association, Local Chapter, 2000-2010
- Leadership Columbus, fellow
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2002- Present
- Recognized as Who’s Who in Black Columbus, 2013
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- African-American Leadership Academy, advisory board member
- Capitol Square Foundation, board member
- Walk with a Doc, Inc., board member