Larry McClatchey joined Kegler Brown in 1985 in the area of commercial litigation having ten years of civil practice experience. Since then, he has led the effort to establish, grow and lead a dedicated Creditors’ Rights + Bankruptcy practice area within the firm’s Litigation group.
Creditors' Rights + Bankruptcy
Larry works to protect rights of both persons and businesses that face financial problems—both creditors and debtors—on a worldwide basis. He places special emphasis on and has broad experience handling bankruptcy court litigation in courts across the United States. Since 1988, Larry has served as a chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in the Southern District of Ohio, successfully completing thousands of cases and distributing millions of dollars to creditors. He has also represented creditors in many large chapter 11 reorganization cases of national interest, prosecuted administrative priority claims and defended preference lawsuits. Some of the cases of national interest in which Larry has been involved include Inter-Faith Medical Center (New York), National Steel (Chicago), Phar-Mor (Youngstown), Federated Department Stores (Cincinnati), Fleming, Nicole Energy, Archway Cookies (Chicago), Jay Foods/Select Snacks, Pilgrim’s Pride (Texas) and Source Interlink Distributors.
Larry continues to handle all types of commercial litigation in state and local courts for financial institutions, businesses and individuals. Along with Dan Bennett, Larry also handles collection matters in state courts throughout the country for large and small businesses. Kegler Brown developed an innovative fee arrangement for this work for Cardinal Health, Inc. Recently, Larry has represented clients in matters following secured debt investments.
In addition, he supports professional credit managers through his work with the National Association of Credit Management, the premier national organization of credit professionals. For a number of years he served as general counsel to NACM Ohio, which was later merged into NACM-Great Lakes Region. Under Larry’s direction, Kegler Brown conducts an annual legal seminar for credit professionals that has a dedicated following. His wide-ranging practice has included agricultural law issues, foreclosures and all manners of commercial litigation, including collections.
- Banking + Lending
- Energy + Environment
- Real Estate
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D., 1975)
- Indiana University (B.A., 1972)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bankruptcy Institute, member
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Subcommittee-Judicial Liaison Committee, frequent lecturer and member
- Commercial Law League, member
- National Association of Credit Management—Great Lakes Region, member and former trustee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Agricultural Law committee, past chair; Banking and Commercial Law committee, member
- Honored by Chambers USA for expertise in Bankruptcy (Band 3)
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® by Law & Politics magazine
- Award of Excellence recipient, National Association of Credit Management-OHIO
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Habitat for Humanity, volunteer
- Larry has successfully concluded over ten thousand chapter 7 bankruptcy cases as Trustee since 1988, including two business cases in which he recovered settlements of over $2 million and $4 million, respectively, for distribution to creditors
- Has been a leader in establishing and growing the firm’s creditor’s rights and bankruptcy practice, which he chairs