Representing clients before the Ohio General Assembly and the U.S. Congress, our lawyer-lobbyist team has experience collaborating with all three branches of government. Every week, we advocate on our clients’ behalf with state and federal regulators. This means working closely with clients to understand the changes they need – both legislative and regulatory – to help bring their ideas together and implement a smart public policy strategy.
Our government affairs clients are represented by a bipartisan team of lobbyists- all of whom are lawyers. And through our membership in SCG Legal (a global network of law firms stationed in state and international capitals), our firm has the capability to create and execute a multi-jurisdictional lobbying strategy.
- State legislative lobbying: advocating the interests of our clients to legislators; monitoring significant legislation, amendments and hearings; preparing and delivering testimony; drafting legislation and necessary amendments
- State executive branch lobbying: analyzing and commenting on pending administrative rules; meeting with regulators to influence public policy positions at administrative agencies and to diffuse regulatory crises; finding procurement leads for clients seeking government business
- Federal legislative lobbying: representing Ohio-based companies and organizations; leveraging the strength of the Ohio Congressional delegation to change federal laws or to impact pending legislation
- Federal executive lobbying: asserting a need for federal funding assistance for critical programs and initiatives
- Public policy development: transforming public policy goals and objectives into concrete priorities
We represent Ohio-based companies and organizations, as well as U.S. companies based in other states. Our clients range from startup companies to international corporations, including:
- Transportation improvement districts: political bodies sanctioned under state law; we protect state law provisions that provide TIDs with the flexibility needed for efficient operation and identify and advocate for funding to support TID projects
- Metropolitan planning organizations/councils of governments: created by federal law to convene representatives from local government organizations to prioritize and fund infrastructure projects; preserving Ohio’s tradition of strong local governments
- Industry associations: determining necessary government support and translating those needs into a public policy agenda for legislators and regulators; identification of legislative sponsors to assist in writing or supporting favorable legislation; building coalitions that support mutual interests
- Large corporations: monitoring and analyzing legislation that could impact business operations; recommending lobbying strategies to support favorable legislation and combat costly bills and regulations; fighting hostile local government ordinances
- Gaming companies: counsel on new Ohio industry legislation and regulations; advice on avoiding increased operating costs
Our best-known government affairs clients include:
- McDonald’s Corporation
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana (OKI)
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
- Ohio Salon Association (OSA)
- TracFone Wireless, Inc.
- Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC)
- Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA)
- Gaming Laboratories International, LLC (GLI)
- Insurance Auto Auctions, Inc. (IAAI)
- Lexington Law
- Transportation Improvement Districts (TIDs) in Belmont, Butler, Clermont, Hamilton, and Warren Counties
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, LLC
- Ohio State Council for the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
For more information on our lobbying services, please contact Steve Tugend.