No matter the size of the practice or area of focus, we help lawyers, law firms and judges throughout Ohio meet their ethical responsibilities. We help our clients navigate through complex ethical issues, including those arising from client representation matters, civil and criminal litigation, and in response to inquiries from Ohio disciplinary authorities. Our lawyers also provide expert witness services in all aspects of legal practice.
Kegler Brown's deep bench of experience includes a former Ohio Disciplinary Counsel and chair of the Ohio State Bar Ethics Committee; trial lawyers who have appeared in dozens of proceedings before the Ohio Supreme Court and its Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline and the Unauthorized Practice of Law; presenters at hundreds of ethics seminars throughout Ohio; and recipients of statewide and national honors, including from The Best Lawyers in America and Ohio Super Lawyers. U.S. News and World Report, in its most recent publication, ranked the legal ethics practice at Kegler Brown as "#1 in Ohio for ethics and professional responsibility law."
To better serve attorneys throughout Ohio, we provide the public with regular updates on legal and ethical matters of interest through our dedicated blog, Ohio Legal Ethics. We invite you to visit the site to learn more.
- Disciplinary defense: representing clients in defense of ethical investigations and disciplinary proceedings
- Consultation: advising lawyers on all aspects of the Rules of Professional Conduct, including conflicts, withdrawal, contempt, confidentiality, and fee issues and disputes
- Expert witness: serving in legal malpractice cases, fee disputes and conflict of interest disputes
- Legal and ethics opinions: advising clients contemplating a course of legal action
- Civil litigation: representing lawyers in disqualification, conflict of interest, discovery, contempt and other disputes arising in the context of civil litigation
- Judges and judicial candidates: representation in ethics and judicial campaign matters; compliance with the Code of Judicial Conduct; judicial misconduct investigations
We regularly represent clients of all types, including lawyers, law firms, and judges on a variety of ethical issues. Our attorneys also work with non-lawyers on unauthorized practice of law (UPL) issues and all issues relating to their attorney-client relationships. Our clients include:
- Lawyers and law firms
- Government attorneys
- Judges and judicial candidates
- In-house corporate counsel
- Non-lawyer corporations and individuals