An initial member of the firm's Cleveland office, Miller focuses his practice on management interests in labor and employment matters and on corporate representation. A veteran litigator, he also is experienced in the courtroom and in alternative dispute resolution techniques. Miller joined the firm in 2012 and is a regular presenter on labor and employment matters and minimization of legal risk.
Labor + Employment
Miller's career began in-house with a publicly traded specialty chemical company, managing its employment law issues. He continues to represent businesses of all sizes in workplace training, labor negotiations and disputes, employment contracts, and in defending claims of discriminatory conduct.
Experienced in handling issues related to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Miller works closely with employers to provide the necessary protections against employee claims. He has successfully defended employers in wage and hour lawsuits brought by individuals and as collective actions in the U.S. district courts and throughout Ohio, and in administrative proceedings before state and federal agencies. Miller also counsels employers on developments in wage and hour laws and regulations, and frequently presents on the subject.
Withdrawal Liability + Unfunded Vested Benefits
Counseling employers on alternatives to and protections from funding liabilities associated with multiemployer plans, Miller has successfully negotiated withdrawal liability resolutions and litigated withdrawal liability on behalf of employers in arbitrations and before U.S. district courts. He provides guidance and solutions when companies with benefit liabilities are transitioning through stock or asset sales or changing corporate form.
Miller serves as outside general counsel to his small and mid-market clients, advising them on comprehensive corporate issues from formation through succession and exit planning with the focus always on maximizing profitability.
Construction Law + Commercial Litigation
With a wealth of commercial litigation experience representing clients in state and federal courts throughout Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, and Texas, Miller has also successfully defended and prosecuted construction disputes, including claims relating to defaults, terminations, bond claims, liquidated damages and equitable adjustments.
- Banking + Lending
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Global Business
- Government Affairs
- Health Care
- Class + Collective Action Litigation
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Construction Claims + Disputes
- Corporate Investigations
- Creditors’ Rights + Bankruptcy
- ERISA + Employee Benefits Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Global Dispute Litigation
- Real Estate + Land Use Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation Proceedings + Litigation
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Sports + Entertainment
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 1997)
- Kent State University (B.A., 1993)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
- Selected as an “Ohio Rising Star” by Law & Politics magazine
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- American Heart Association, executive leadership committee, "Men Go Red"
- Association for Corporate Growth, member
- Exit Planning Institute, Northeast Ohio Chapter, member
- St. Ignatius High School Alumni Committee, member