Unlike some firms’ approach to employment advice, we understand that the most conservative approach may not be the best for your business. By considering individualized needs and circumstances, we are able to advise clients of potential risks, while permitting them to make the best decision for their business. In many instances, particularly with new companies and inbound investors, employment decisions often involve a company’s culture and the climate they hope to create for employees. We take great pride in investing time in learning about our clients’ cultures and goals.
We help emerging businesses address issues relating to their workforce and develop growth strategies consistent with their business model and objectives. We advise startups and mature companies alike on the various laws relating to employment as they apply to their individual businesses. Our lawyers assist in crafting global strategies consistent with best practices in both day-to-day operations and long-term strategies.
- Employee relations advice: advising emerging businesses regarding employee hiring, discipline and termination; advising companies on the applicability of workplace-related laws covering discrimination and other unlawful termination
- Employment policies, practices and toolsets: analyzing, preparing, reviewing and revising employee handbooks and employer policies to ensure they properly identify expectations
- Asset protection strategies: providing confidentiality and non-competition planning; creating agreements that protect our clients’ business needs and can be successfully enforced through the court system
- Workplace structure and compensation policies: helping businesses determine the appropriate structure for their business goals (e.g. retaining independent contractors, partnering with professional employment organizations, etc.); advising clients regarding incentive compensation structures that comply with local, state and federal laws governing wages and deferred compensation
Our human capital strategy clients, represented by our Emerging Businesses team, typically fall into the following areas:
- Startups and growth-stage companies: identifying the best structure and compensation models to achieve set business goals; representing startups throughout the lifecycle stages, including idea, incubator, pre-seed funding and beyond
- Inbound investors (companies looking to locate new operations in Ohio): advising investors on the legal climate in Ohio and across the country as it relates to the workplace; advising clients on best practices to maintain compliance throughout the business lifecycle
- Expanding Ohio companies: advising clients on the ramifications of expansion from an employment law perspective to prepare them for a new legal environment
For more information on our human capital strategies services for growth-stage businesses, please contact Brendan Feheley.