Erin focuses her practice in the areas of Business, Tax + Securities; Mergers + Acquisitions; and Business Succession. She was selected as Chambers USA "Associate to Watch" in 2015 and joined Kegler Brown in 2009.
Business, Tax + Securities
Erin counsels businesses to strategically meet a wide variety of legal needs, including entity selection and formation, business structuring and reorganizations, private offerings of equity and other fundraising transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, tax planning and compliance, and public and private securities planning and compliance. Erin counsels both international and domestic clients regarding the legal and tax implications of cross-border business arrangements, such as distribution, outsourcing and foreign direct investment. Erin has worked closely with clients in a wide variety of industries, including software and technology, marketing, energy, manufacturing, health care, retail, and restaurant and food production industries.
Mergers + Acquisitions
Erin assists clients, both domestic and international, public and private, in a variety of transactions, including mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases, recapitalizations, divestitures, and other investments. In connection with these transactions, she has handled contract drafting and negotiation, premerger notification filings, tax structuring, and diligence.
For businesses facing transitions, Erin assists in areas of succession strategy, charitable giving and estate planning. Erin drafts wills, powers of attorney and various trusts designed to optimize wealth planning, asset control and business succession.
- Emerging Businesses
- Employee Relations
- Estate Planning + Business Succession
- Global Business
- IP Strategy + Consulting
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Georgetown University (B.S., 2004)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (2002-2003)
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association, member
- CBA Barrister Leadership Program, Class of 2012
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2013
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Selected as an "Associate to Watch" by Chambers USA, 2014-2016
- 2015: Chambers USA reported that, “Herbst is praised for being ‘very practical in her approach and thorough in her execution.’”
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, Pro Bono Attorney
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Franklin County, board of trustees, member
- Women for Economic Leadership Development (WELD), United Way Women’s Leadership Council, member
- Before law school, worked as a financial analyst for Citigroup Corporate and Investment Bank in New York, specializing in international tax and transfer pricing, 2004-2006
- National Champion, Manne Moot Court Competition for Law and Economics at George Mason University, 2009
- Acknowledged as a Public Service Fellow with Recognition, for time spent with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, 2009
- Judicial extern at the Ohio Supreme Court for Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer, 2008