We provide comprehensive counsel relating to the acquisition and protection of surface and subsurface interests in real estate and assist clients in developing pipeline and terminal projects. Our energy and environmental litigators resolve disputes concerning surface and subsurface land rights, real estate contract disputes, environmental enforcement activity and eminent domain for pipeline rights of way.
Our attorneys have published articles and made presentations in oil and gas industry conferences on a variety of issues pertaining to our clients. Six of our practice group attorneys have been AV-rated – the highest rating available – by other members of the bar in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings; this distinction is available only to lawyers who have practiced for a minimum of ten years and who fulfill a variety of other criteria demonstrating their skill and experience.
- Pipeline/Terminal project counsel: navigating the entire pipeline land rights acquisition process to ensure full compliance with the law, and the acquisition and development of terminal sites, including all necessary environmental due diligence and preparation of contractual documents
- Eminent domain/condemnation litigation: land rights negotiations employing the power of pipeline operators as common carriers to condemn property when necessary; providing representation in property valuation proceedings and jury trials
- Oil and gas lease review: assisting residential mortgage lenders in reviewing oil and gas leases relating to loans secured by mortgages on residential properties; advising lenders on whether leases contain sufficient protections for the borrower to justify the loan commitment; assisting oil and gas companies in obtaining subordination agreements from lenders with respect to pre-existing mortgages
As a business-focused firm with a broad suite of corporate services, we most typically serve as counsel to the gas and oil extraction community and lenders serving it in the Utica Shale region of eastern Ohio. Our clients include corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs) and sole proprietors/entrepreneurs that are local, regional and national in scope – but all have Ohio operations.
- Oil and gas producers/drillers: providing representation to clients actively extracting oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids in disputes over interests in land, contract disputes and administrative compliance matters; drafting and reviewing contracts and legal instruments; drilling permits and required reporting compliance; offering a full range of employment-related representation and counsel
- Midstream oil and natural gas liquids pipeline operators and marketers: for clients that build and operate gathering and transmission systems for the transportation of oil and natural gas liquids (mixed-stream hydrocarbons) to terminals for shipping, trucking or pipeline transmission to fractionation, refining and processing facilities; contract and real estate document drafting; assistance with negotiation of interests in land and statutory appropriation
- Ancillary service providers: providing a variety of services to those clients involved in the drilling, extraction and transportation of oil, gas and natural gas liquids, including contract drafting and review (including master service agreements), brine hauling permits and reporting compliance, litigation counsel and the full range of employment-related representation
- Residential lenders: ensuring that requested loan commitments relating to oil and gas leases secured by mortgages on residential property include essential protections for the prospective borrower