We believe the most important factor in giving effective advice to our clients is building an understanding of their business and their culture. That means taking the time to build a relationship that promotes efficiency and practical, effective guidance.
Our employment law attorneys advise our management clients on the complex issues related to managing employees and the workplace, including local, state and federal regulations. We assist our clients in developing and implementing an employee relations program that is tailored to their unique needs. This program will then provide a strong foundation from which to manage – and improve – the organization’s core business, while maintaining a positive and productive environment. Through training, we assist our clients in implementing and modifying their employee relations strategy on an ongoing, as-needed basis.
- Hiring: employment applications and interviews; background checks; ADA considerations; immigration matters; pre-employment testing; offer letters
- Employment agreements: draft and negotiate employment agreements; advise and draft independent contractor agreements, including post-termination obligations (i.e. confidentiality and non-compete provisions); executive compensation agreements, including “golden parachutes” and limitations on termination
- Personnel policies and practices: discipline; discharge; training; harassment; handbooks; manuals; social media; drug and alcohol policies; workplace technology
- Wage and hour compliance: compliance in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other state compensation regulations
- Workplace conduct regulations: compliance with state and federal laws; sexual harassment; employee leave; Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) accommodations; social media; drug testing; regulatory violations; prevention, investigation and defense of discrimination and harassment charges
- Attendance and leaves of absence: counseling and compliance with the ADA, FMLA, and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
- Discipline and discharge: training and advice regarding discipline and discharge procedures; separation agreements regarding benefits given with termination; reductions in force in accordance with state and federal laws
- Training and seminars: education for supervisors and HR professionals regarding avoiding liability on issues like harassment, compliance with the ADA and FMLA
As experts in Ohio employment law with a wide base of clients across the state, we counsel businesses of all sizes across a diverse landscape of industries. We also serve as general employment counsel for national companies based in the Midwest. While the majority of our clients are private sector employers, we have experience advising organizations in the public sector, as well.
Select Industries Served:
- Food Service and Distribution
Our firm has provided general counsel on employment-related issues to a number of well-known clients, including Donatos, Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority, Gordon Food Service, Charles Penzone Inc. and WD Partners.