A Focus on Cuba
Born in Havana and a native Spanish speaker, Luis holds both American and Cuban citizenship. His intimate knowledge of the Cuban sociopolitical landscape and his practical business and legal experience in the United States and globally have molded his unique perspective on U.S.-Cuba relations. Luis continues to be a proactive advocate for unrestricted diplomatic and economic relations between the countries, regularly traveling to Cuba and speaking frequently on issues related to Cuba and the Latin American market.
With a particular emphasis on Cuba's evolving economic model and new foreign investment structure, Luis closely studies Cuba's legal system and the impact it has on the country's social and economic development. For many years, Luis has been focused on discussing the benefits that foreign investment, international trade and economic development could potentially have on both countries.
Since the recent political and economic openings in Cuba, Luis has worked with foreign investors on a variety of projects in Cuba and the Special Development Zone of Mariel. The diversity of the projects range from manufacturing to alternative energy and the arts. Luis is well versed in the complexities of Cuba’s legal, economic and political system, including Cuba’s dual monetary policies, and the complexities of foreign investment in Cuba. For a number of years Luis has organized cultural and business focused group trips to Cuba and led Ohio's first agricultural trade mission to Cuba for meetings with its foreign and commerce ministries, Alimport and the Cuban Chamber of Commerce. He continues to organize trips to Cuba for friends and firm clients looking to learn about Cuba and investments in Cuba. Luis has participated in legal seminars in Havana with the National Union of Cuban Jurists, has obtained various licenses from OFAC and has provided counsel to a variety of U.S.-based clients on Cuba-related activities authorized by U.S. law.
- Trump’s Election Threatens Medical Cooperation Between U.S. and Cuba
- The Future of U.S.-Cuba Relations on “All Sides with Ann Fisher”
- Engage Cuba on 'Town Hall Ohio'
- Further Easing of Sanctions Against Cuba
- Open for Business...Almost
- Push in Columbus to end trade embargo with Cuba
- Ohio can win with Cuba ties
- New Ohio council seeks to end Cuba embargo
- New OFAC Changes Continue March Toward End of Cuban Embargo
- U.S. Significantly Expands Cuba Export List + Eases Travel and Finance Rules
- In beautiful, crumbling Cuba, the future arrives too slowly for many
- Educational Opportunities in Cuba: Compliance, Legalities + Preparation for Travel
- Kegler Brown Leads Ohio Trade Mission to Cuba
- New Cuba Regulations Expand the Ability of U.S. Companies to Do Business in Cuba
- Alcalde Connects Cuban Economic Officials with Ohio Businesses
- Removal of Cuba from Terrorism List will be Good for Business
- Cuban Diplomats Visit Valley to Discuss Trade
- Not Uncle Sam’s Internet: What U.S. Telecommunication Companies Need To Know about Cuba’s Internet Goals
- The New U.S.-Cuba Relationship: A Pause to Consider How Cuba Might View the Changes
- The New U.S.-Cuba Policy: Summary of Amendments to CACR + EAR Regulations
- The New U.S. – Cuba Relationship: How It Will Benefit Your Business
- The Next Emerging Market?
- Cuba's New Foreign Investment Law
- The Special Development Zone of Mariel
- Should Ohio Businesses Be Doing More to Open Trade With Cuba?
- Cuba’s Current Energy Situation, Future Plans + Challenges